Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 96 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 194 95 96 97 98137 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 6:34 am
OK, swapped out the island for the one from CVA01 (still a WIP on that. I'll most likely be doing considerable changes in the electronics gear and arrangement, swapping US for the RN on there now. Also, removing the small mack-funnel that I had missed until just now looking at it. oops). I also swapped the correct A-7 for the F-8 that had been on there (D'OH). I must say, the larger island does look a bit better. Once I get the radar and such worked out I'll do the top view on the island.

[ img ]

Next on my list: I'm trying to figure whether boat bays would be better midships, below the island, or try to fit them in aft, not much room aft because of the gun and missile sponsons, though. Probably end up putting them below the island.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 10:13 am
Honestly I think so far it looks much better. One looks forward to seeing it's evolution!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Zephyr I can't see as you would need F4s and Sea Vixens for the same job.Also on a large carrier like that you could ship a heavy attack aircraft like the A6 instead of the lighter A7. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 6:42 pm
They're not for the same job. I talked this over with TimC extensively one night when we both apparently were awake at ungodley hours.....
The F-4 are Fighters & Fighter/Bombers
The A-7 are Strike Aircraft (I just like the A-7 *shrug* always have. An A-7 and F-4 were 2 of the first model airplanes I built as a kid in the 60's. Call it childhood nostalgia for using them. lol)
The Vixens are Recon/Air-Refueling (sort of filling in the role of the RA-5)
The S-2 are ASW/COD aircraft
The Helo's are ASW/Liason birds.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 7:05 pm
Hmmm... the choice of subsonic (Mach 0.91) Sea Vixen for a Recce role (in lieu of Mach 2 RA-5, and when You have other supersonic aircraft) sounds bit... strange... IMHO. ;)
Tanker role is slightly more reasonable, but I'd say that it's still like a bit desperate stop-gap.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 7:22 pm
Apparently, it was fairly successfull as a tanker.

But honestly, my choice of aircraft is really not up for debate, just the design of the carrier. If I choose, say, a J2F Duck as a dive bomber, well, yeah, then we can talk. :lol: But for these aircraft I believe I have them in appropriate roles, and am going to keep them for this mid-60's version of the Scylla Class.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 13th, 2012, 7:35 pm
and now a request for info. I've been trying to work out which radars and such to use for this, but there seems to be a gap in info. I can find buttloads of info on WW2 radars, and on modern radars, but everything in between appears to be in limbo, or I just can't find it. Anybody got links to a good website for 1960's era USN electronics?

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 14th, 2012, 12:34 am
You can say u initially used sea vixens as fighters before the F-4s and they were kept as tankers in small number. I don't really see the use of the plane in a recon role but it's your AU and ship so in my opinion it's reasonable enough and everything else is extremely sound

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 14th, 2012, 2:31 am
Major sets on US carriers in the 1960s would have been a long range 2D radar, at least one Height-Finder set, a surface search set, and one navigation and weather set. The height finders were replaced with 3D sets later on. In addition the islands often were covered with communications gear like you wouldn't believe. Also don't forget to include fire control sets - the Kitty Hawks had a pair of SPG-55s on the islands in addition to the units that were next to the Mk 10 launchers on the aft sponsons. One other thing that you will need, but I don't have a lot of hard data on would be the carrier landing sets. They have the designation SPN-XX as opposed to the SPS-XX air search designations.

Don't forget ECM/ESM gear, If you look at pictures of USS Enterprise when she was launched, you can see a large conical structure atop the island - that's the ECM set (a design that was not reused on later carriers).

Just looking at search radars I'd look at an SPS-37 for long range 2D, an SPS-10 for surface search, at least one SPS-30 height finder, and an SPS-12 as a back up set.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 14th, 2012, 4:27 am
Ah, well, I was going to try and figure it out myself, thats why I was just asking for a link, but when such good advise is given, I'll surely not turn it down. :mrgreen: Be kinda silly not to. Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 96 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 194 95 96 97 98137 »

Jump to: