Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 92 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 190 91 92 93 94137 »
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 29th, 2012, 1:11 am
You could also flair the forward sponsons into the hull to cut down wave damage like on Indefatigable/Implacable :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 29th, 2012, 3:30 am
I did indeed mean the forward gun-sponsons. My apologies for not being clearer on the issue. Your problem here seems to be an ambition too much, i e to both have the Sea Cats and the guns on sponsons. I'm not convinced that Bombhead's suggestion is the best, but it's certainly a viable one. But in order for it to be successful, you still need, nay must, move the gunsponsons a considerable way aft. I'd delete them entirely, or have a system of Sea Cat forward on either starboard or port and guns on the opposite, but not both system on the same side.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 30th, 2012, 7:19 am
tinkered with it a little more...

[ img ]

Not really sold on the beginnings of the superstructure as it currently sits. Needs work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 30th, 2012, 8:53 am
I think the superstructure should move forward and the gun in front of the superstructure will also obstruct deck operations.
BTW add an extra ammunition elevator and perhaps one more aircraft elevator.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 30th, 2012, 9:28 am
I still think the forward weapon mounts are going to get quite battered and wet. Could you not relocate Seacat to the island structure? As for elevators, as I presume the carrier is inspired by British practice maybe two or three inboard elevators compared to the deck edge ones you have now?

Anyhow, I know how tiresome it is to draw up carriers having attempted a whole variety of them myself and never finished most of them. I wish you the best of luck with it!

~Mark.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 30th, 2012, 2:11 pm
The forward sponsons can work - if you fair them, angle their leading edges and, essentialy make them "spray safe". Ideally you'd move them back even farther, having their trailing edges meet with the flight deck fairing. That way you should be completely safe.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 30th, 2012, 3:10 pm
I think the guns in front of the island structure, should be removed. It will give you more place for the island itself, after a carrier should have some flag facilities, hence a bigger island. In my opinion a third lift is called for, maybe a centerline one just aft of the two forward catapults.
A minor consistency remark and that is the top view and side view do not match in the forward section of the ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: July 30th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Novice wrote:
A minor consistency remark and that is the top view and side view do not match in the forward section of the ship.
How so?

and not everything is finished yet

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 1st, 2012, 4:43 am
Clonecommander6454 wrote:
I think the superstructure should move forward and the gun in front of the superstructure will also obstruct deck operations.
BTW add an extra ammunition elevator and perhaps one more aircraft elevator.
Well, guns on the flight deck before and even aft of the island are not without precedent, but I may well just remove this or relocate it.

As for the island itself, my initial thoughts were to have it forward of both elevators, but I got to thinking that might be too far forward, plus it would make it difficult for the funnels considering most enginerooms are midships on ships this size, I believe. Now, I could go with stand-alone funnels like on the original Ranger, or perhaps even a side mounted downward flair like the Japanese carriers used, but those may be a bit outdated for something commissioned in 1965. Another possibility could be to relocate the forward elevator a bit further aft, and to place the island about where the elevator currently is.
This is something I'd really appreciate hearing y'alls thoughts on before I go tinkering anymore. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 1:18 am
ummmm .... anybody?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 92 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 190 91 92 93 94137 »

Jump to: