Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1216 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 5:56 pm
erik_t wrote:
Wait, eight Mk 37 secondary directors? I find this extremely implausible, not to mention kind of pointless!
Okay Erik,

I got carried away there for a while :oops: . . . she now has four Mk-37s. ;)

The 1934, 1941 and 1942 versions are still WIP although the 1934 is nearly there, I think? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 6:06 pm
I believe the Mk.37 director needs at least one level of deck penetration to accommodate the plotting rooms below it. There's a photo of one of the South Dakotas that illustrates this well, but naturally NavSource is down and I can't find the photo.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 6:17 pm
Colosseum wrote:
I believe the Mk.37 director needs at least one level of deck penetration to accommodate the plotting rooms below it. There's a photo of one of the South Dakotas that illustrates this well, but naturally NavSource is down and I can't find the photo.
Correct, it will be fixed.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Colo,

The deck penetration issue is fixed.

Here's the 1942 Dorsal View:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 8:46 pm
I really like this series! Great job, especially on the different views - inspiring stuff! :-)

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 8:58 pm
David Latuch wrote:
Colo,

-SNIP-
No no no. Those forward and aft sets of 5/38 turrets are WAY too far inwards. Since you've already got a set of 6 inch secondaries for surface targets, it's far more important to have the 5/38s as an AA battery. Placing half of them that far inwards is counter to that, especially since the middle mounts already have a restricted FOV due to being so close to each other.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 9:25 pm
MihoshiK wrote:
David Latuch wrote:
Colo,

-SNIP-
No no no. Those forward and aft sets of 5/38 turrets are WAY too far inwards. Since you've already got a set of 6 inch secondaries for surface targets, it's far more important to have the 5/38s as an AA battery. Placing half of them that far inwards is counter to that, especially since the middle mounts already have a restricted FOV due to being so close to each other.
Mihoshi,

I placed the fore and aft 5"/38s that far inboard so that they wouldn't mast the center two. ;) Yes their field of fire is restricted. they can only both fire at the same target at forty five degrees. Otherwise, they are restricted to ninty degrees. Schade :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 9:29 pm
Quite frankly, by 1942 I'd rather land the two center 6/47 turrets and add a godawful amount of 5/38 in that area.

Your heavy AA armament, including various layout inefficiencies, is probably worse than a Brooklyn.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 9:31 pm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _class.jpg
looking at the iowa, you could place them quite far outboard instead. that would give you at least 2 mountings amidships, between the 6in, at the deck edge. a second set could be placed where you have the aircraft crane now, no harm in placing that a bit inboard. the ones around the foremast could be as far outboard as the midship ones are now then, and the same for the ones next to the aft mast.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 24th, 2014, 9:38 pm
erik_t wrote:
Quite frankly, by 1942 I'd rather land the two center 6/47 turrets and add a godawful amount of 5/38 in that area.

Your heavy AA armament, including various layout inefficiencies, is probably worse than a Brooklyn.
You're right, both you and Ace; I'm going back to 1927 and starting the layout over.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1216 »

Jump to: