Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1016 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 18th, 2014, 8:37 pm
erik_t wrote:
Well, remember the previous state of the art to which you're comparing. Fore-and-aft turrets will still be a damned sight better than casemates!
Absolutely! :lol:

Here she is with super-imposed 6" turrets. ;)

[ img ]

What do you think? :D

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 18th, 2014, 8:50 pm
I like it. Do you suppose, at this point, there's any possibility of putting 5/25 under and outboard of the middle 6/47 turrets? Perhaps with some very British-looking blast shields above the heads of the crews working the 5/25.

Hell, maybe you even have enclosed 5/25 mounts in this alternate universe. Those could definitely go in that position, since they're just dredging rounds up from a small handling room sitting above the TDS.

Food for thought.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 18th, 2014, 9:13 pm
erik_t wrote:
I like it. Do you suppose, at this point, there's any possibility of putting 5/25 under and outboard of the middle 6/47 turrets? Perhaps with some very British-looking blast shields above the heads of the crews working the 5/25.

Hell, maybe you even have enclosed 5/25 mounts in this alternate universe. Those could definitely go in that position, since they're just dredging rounds up from a small handling room sitting above the TDS.

Food for thought.
There's plenty of room on the main deck. Let me give it a shot. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 18th, 2014, 9:15 pm
Truthfully, I think the resulting arrangement could be superior to the original one, even if the latter did work.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 18th, 2014, 9:22 pm
erik_t wrote:
Truthfully, I think the resulting arrangement could be superior to the original one, even if the latter did work.
Actually I agree.:D I don't find it too far a stretch for the designers of that time to super-impose the secondary just as they'd already done the primary. Eventually they'll do so with the future 5"/38s on later battleships, why npot now in 1927--well design date probably around 1922-23? :lol:

Serendipity can be most odd and frightening at times. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 19th, 2014, 9:53 pm
Okay Erik,

Here are the new elevations: ;)

Starboard Elevation:
[ img ]

Bow & Stern Elevations:
[ img ]

Dorsal Elevation:
[ img ]

Will this work? :D

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 19th, 2014, 11:15 pm
Is 6/47 imagined as being used at all in AA fire? If so, I'm very concerned about the blast's impact on 5/25 crews. If not, 5/25 is a bulletproof mount; it can probably survive fine. If so, again I'd think about making them actual shielded gun mounts. I might add a couple more mounts forward of the current beam pair; right now, forward 5/25 coverage is rather poor. In either case, I think the 5/25 could move outboard. Look at how near the extreme beam the 5/38s were on some of the Standard reconstructions during WW2. Also, during this period the USN considered mast-top 50cal crews for close-in AA; what's the plan on this boat? If you've got a ton of 5/25 for long-range AA, you should consider short-range too.

The only other arrangement issue at this point is that the aft boat/aircraft cranes are blocking stern 6/47 fire. This may not be a huge concern. It might be nice if the kingposts themselves can move inboard ten or twenty feet; you'd have to check the wingspan of the aircraft etc etc to see if this arrangement would still work.

Again, I really love this project. I am enjoying watching it evolve, and it's very attractive.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 20th, 2014, 8:50 pm
Well Erik,

I didn't like the 5"/25s on two different levels--you pointed out the blast damage problem, and I wasn't too keen on the super-imposed 6"/47 Turrets either so I went back to the original layout and moved the entire boatdeck (0-2Deck) inboard to fit in the TDS. Here's what the overhead looks like (the superstructure is just the 0-2 level footprint. :D

[ img ]

There isn't a lot of real estate on the boatdeck, but I think it works pretty well.

What do you think? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 21st, 2014, 9:56 pm
Because the USS New Hampshire is a very modern warship she does not undergo any major refit/rebuild in the early-mid thirtys as earlier battleships do but instead receives a modest refit/upgrade in 1934.

1934 Refit II:
• Lower observation platform removed from main mast.
• Mk-34 GFCD added where 20' range finder was.
• 5”/25s replaced with 5”/38s.
• Airplane catapult on #3 turret upgraded.
• Stern boom floatplane retrieval crane replaced with newer crane.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 21st, 2014, 11:15 pm
Hi David,

Looks nice, but I think the mirror-imaging at the bow has done something strange to the middle anchor chain...

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1016 »

Jump to: