Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1013 »
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 20th, 2014, 2:32 pm
I really like the look of this ship.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 21st, 2014, 3:11 am
Syzmo wrote:
I really like the look of this ship.
Thank you sir :) I really appreciate it

So I hit a artistic wall with my ship so I had a little fun....

[ img ]

I'll keep working on this until it looks like a real picture of a real ship. This is the kind of thing I was doing before I came to the bucket :)

Anyway, I'll post a real update soon. any comments/suggestions/insults welcome haha

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 5:07 am
Judah14 wrote:
Philbob wrote:
I dont feel a US ship would be fitted with a millennium gun at the forward B postion. maybe a CIWS or Mk38
Millennium gun is also a CIWS. And Lockheed Martin is the US licensee for its sale and manufacture.
maybe so but its not in the US naval supply chain right now

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 22nd, 2014, 10:59 am
Philbob wrote:
Judah14 wrote:
Philbob wrote:
I dont feel a US ship would be fitted with a millennium gun at the forward B postion. maybe a CIWS or Mk38
Millennium gun is also a CIWS. And Lockheed Martin is the US licensee for its sale and manufacture.
neither is the SPY-5, SPS-49 planar array and the oto melara stealth turret.

also, on a sidenote, the one remaining RAM launcher is still the wrong way around :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 23rd, 2014, 1:38 pm
sabotage181 wrote:
Anyway, I'll post a real update soon. any comments/suggestions/insults welcome haha
Few thinkings guys :mrgreen:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 23rd, 2014, 2:49 pm
Mike, TLAMs were to be included on most of the USN FFG designs in the 1990s because it adds a lot of operational flexibility (when every little frigate that you have out there showing the flag is a potential cruise missile shooter, you can cover a lot more area). It costs very little to add TLAM capabilities if you already have the strike length cells, and there was a broad-based opinion that the USN was going to have open cells in which to add TLAMs without seriously reducing the other capabilities.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 28th, 2014, 3:48 am
Philbob wrote:
Philbob wrote:
True but he can still use the very similar Bushmaster:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 28th, 2014, 11:59 am
Very similar might be a bit of an over statement. The Millennium has the ability to fire at a much higher rate when needed than any Bushmaster can. The bushmaster also has deck penetration to worry about.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 28th, 2014, 12:23 pm
Millenium Vs Bushmaster is an interesting question.

Firstly, there is the target set: The AHEAD ammo used by Millenium has the ability to put a very large number of holes in things, but in some quarters there is concern as to whether the pellets actually have enough energy to disable an oncoming speedboat (or its' crew), as the system was developed to destroy fast moving, lightly constructed, very densely packed air targets, not slow moving, possibly armoured, relatively spacious surface targets. Direct hits from 30-40mm weapons are similarly found to be much more effective against these surface targets.

Secondly, deck penetration may actually be a good thing. It allows for reloading under protection, which is very significant if under attack by a determined or skilled opponent, or one who loads down their boats with lots of crew with light weapons. Also a lot of "non deck penetrating" systems actually have a space underneath them anyway, for local power conversion, switchboards etc. The Only time it's an advantage is if you are refitting - hence in the RN Phalanx was for refits, Goalkeeper for newbuilds.

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: FFG(x) 98Posted: February 28th, 2014, 1:32 pm
I know the RDN considers them primarily AA weapons. The official SOP in case of small craft attacks is 76mm shells. The act that AHEAD shells are in the same price range as the 76mm ones might have something to do with that.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 13  [ 126 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1013 »

Jump to: