Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 14  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 914 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 16th, 2016, 5:26 pm
It's lost some grace, but I'm more concerned with function than form.

The real problem I see is the seemingly (it's mostly at +-45deg) huge mast, but I'm certainly not going to shrink the main radar for aesthetic reasons.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 17th, 2016, 2:49 am
Let the lesson always be: LISTEN WHEN PEOPLE HAVE SUBSTANTIVE COMPLAINTS.

Because everything got better in nearly every way.

We have radical reorganization of major electronics. Golly gee it's funny how development always seems to trend toward something like Zumwalt, almost as if the people in charge of aforementioned design know more about the task at hand than jackasses on the internet. Anyway...
  • 20' apertures on +-60/180, which is as good as anything will ever get, ever.
  • 50mm disposition is slightly improved, more as a side effect of necessity than intention.
  • I gave up on phased array satcom, mostly. I'm unconvinced that's an intelligent way to spend money when we're low (rather than very low) observable. Satcom dishes are now in trainable bandpass tronconic housings, for a sensible approach to LO.
  • We have 96 cells now, because Burke made my [redacted] feel insufficiently large. But that's all better now.
  • We've lost the dedicated illuminator aft, but to hell with it. Active-ESSM can handle leakers when the ship is damaged, especially if we have time to bring a surviving 20' array to bear.
  • As before, the CGN variant loses helo spots and/or container spots to accommodation.
All told, I think it looks right in a way that MihoshiK thought it did not. Not that that's the be-all and end-all of everything, but I like the result of his comments more than what I had two days ago.

[ img ]

http://s24.postimg.org/ixijvrpz9/HDDG_2 ... ullres.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 17th, 2016, 7:25 am
Nice, but the full res version has a bad cas of artefacting going for it

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 17th, 2016, 7:31 am
Hi erik,

It looks great, but I have a question ... Does the masker system go over the bilge keels?

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 17th, 2016, 3:48 pm
Wow, I need to switch to a different host.

cartoon

full-size

Yes, the belts go over the bilge keels.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 22nd, 2016, 2:07 am
Interesting project, but in the latest configuration the electronic mast makes it seem unbalanced, but then a lot of the more recent projected designs seem to have the same quality.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 22nd, 2016, 6:41 pm
Quote:
Golly gee it's funny how development always seems to trend toward something like Zumwalt, almost as if the people in charge of aforementioned design know more about the task at hand than jackasses on the internet. Anyway...
Audible "lol" at this. People at work turned and looked at me funny.

Great stuff otherwise. Just as well thought-out and well-produced as I would have expected from you!

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 23rd, 2016, 1:15 pm
erik_t wrote:
Let the lesson always be: LISTEN WHEN PEOPLE HAVE SUBSTANTIVE COMPLAINTS.

Because everything got better in nearly every way.

We have radical reorganization of major electronics. Golly gee it's funny how development always seems to trend toward something like Zumwalt, almost as if the people in charge of aforementioned design know more about the task at hand than jackasses on the internet. Anyway...
  • 20' apertures on +-60/180, which is as good as anything will ever get, ever.
  • 50mm disposition is slightly improved, more as a side effect of necessity than intention.
  • I gave up on phased array satcom, mostly. I'm unconvinced that's an intelligent way to spend money when we're low (rather than very low) observable. Satcom dishes are now in trainable bandpass tronconic housings, for a sensible approach to LO.
  • We have 96 cells now, because Burke made my [redacted] feel insufficiently large. But that's all better now.
  • We've lost the dedicated illuminator aft, but to hell with it. Active-ESSM can handle leakers when the ship is damaged, especially if we have time to bring a surviving 20' array to bear.
  • As before, the CGN variant loses helo spots and/or container spots to accommodation.
All told, I think it looks right in a way that MihoshiK thought it did not. Not that that's the be-all and end-all of everything, but I like the result of his comments more than what I had two days ago.

[ img ]

http://s24.postimg.org/ixijvrpz9/HDDG_2 ... ullres.png
Looks a lot better indeed. I must admit that the short superstructure/more VLS of your early CGN versions was appealing, but realistically it's got all th eVLS it needs.

But wouldn't it make more sense to give the destroyer the larger chin sonar, seeing as how one of it's main tasks is ASW?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 23rd, 2016, 5:30 pm
Definitely a fair question.

My thinking was the following: with its additional payload bay space, the DDGH type is always going to be the preferred platform for littoral operations. It is my understanding that blue-water operations tend to favor lower frequency sonar operation, while such systems cannot be fully exploited in shallower waters closer to shore (and there are other factors that make the LF set actually bad in constricted waters). The CG thus should receive the lower-frequency set.

Note that I originally specified a Spherion derivative, but that's definitely out of date with the capability creep of this drawing. I'll need to rethink the dome size, but I'd like to shift the smaller set to SQQ-90 (with the SQS-60 MF set), which is the system used on Zumwalt.

As a point of size comparison, Spherion is 1.4m high and 1.2m in diameter. SQS-60 appears to be about 1.5m high and 2m in diameter (here is an image of the transducer; I have scaled from a man who is 1.75m tall). SQS-53's monster of a transducer is 2m high and 4.5m in diameter.

In any case, I get the impression we're caring more and more about towed array performance, and that will be agnostic to dome size.

Last edited by erik_t on April 23rd, 2016, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Notional 9000tFL USN FFG with THE POWER OF THE ATOMPosted: April 23rd, 2016, 9:46 pm
Right, then.

SQQ-90 is the fit for the DDGH, scaled as best I can from SQS-53 and Spherion domes, and
colored as best I can figure from DDG-1000 (they appear to be using some new dome material
that isn't the conventional black rubber).

IFF disposition has been improved (MEADS search radar can handle it through the primary arrays,
but AMDR-S needs secondary arrays). I fit the usual Imast surface search radar, which I had
somehow previously forgotten entirely.

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 14  [ 135 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 914 »

Jump to: