Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: December 17th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Thats a good point, I'll have to check Canney and see who it was that authorized the change in design for the two brigs turned sloops of war.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: December 17th, 2013, 8:03 pm
One aspect of the early American shipbuilding industry/designs is the fact that most Colonial/Continental vessels were designed for smuggling, since the American colonies, even before 1775, vigorously attempted to evade the effects of the Navigation Act. That means that local or regional preferences for the ships were inherent in their designs, affecting such matters as tacking, speed, run before the wind etc. So, early American designs, where preserved in the form of design prints or technical specifications should generally be regarded as unique, atypical designs of the period.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: December 17th, 2013, 11:13 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
One aspect of the early American shipbuilding industry/designs is the fact that most Colonial/Continental vessels were designed for smuggling, since the American colonies, even before 1775, vigorously attempted to evade the effects of the Navigation Act. That means that local or regional preferences for the ships were inherent in their designs, affecting such matters as tacking, speed, run before the wind etc. So, early American designs, where preserved in the form of design prints or technical specifications should generally be regarded as unique, atypical designs of the period.
Nailed It!

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: December 28th, 2013, 12:46 am
Did this thread die?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: December 28th, 2013, 1:11 am
Nope, it's just the mast redraw has a low priority at the moment. I'll post it up here as soon as it's finished.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: December 29th, 2013, 2:58 am
Okay, Cool, can't wait to see it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7

Jump to: