Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 816 »
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 14th, 2014, 8:33 am
Interesting about the rudder - I'd been under the impression that a single rudder there wouldn't have a lot of effect - good to get that corrected!

As I'd understood it, the Tillman designs came about because the Navy was asking for bigger ships every year, so Tillman essentially asked the navy to jump to the end of the process to save having to build the intermediate stages.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 14th, 2014, 10:28 am
apdsmith wrote:
Interesting about the rudder - I'd been under the impression that a single rudder there wouldn't have a lot of effect - good to get that corrected!

As I'd understood it, the Tillman designs came about because the Navy was asking for bigger ships every year, so Tillman essentially asked the navy to jump to the end of the process to save having to build the intermediate stages.
In that time period, they didn't think so much on that, A single rudder is also good to use, so long the ship have some movement. often you see picture of these old giants with tugs around them, assisting them up to some knots...

it's first when engineers starting to experiment with things that can improve the ship control, first then you will see ships that have ruder right behind the propeller.

Fun fact. Oslo class had a single propeller, but a twin ruder on a single ruder coupling, it give better ship control at high speed (Oslo class could do 30+knots, with combat propellers), but when going in to harbor, she needed help. she had no control at low speed.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 5:58 pm
Because the USS New Hampshire is a very modern warship she does not undergo any major refit/rebuild in the early-mid thirtys as earlier battleships do but instead receives a modest refit/upgrade in 1934.

1934 Refit:
• Lower observation platform removed from main mast.
• 5”/25s replaced with 5”/38s.
• Airplane catapult on #3 turret upgraded.
• Stern boom floatplane retrieval crane replaced with newer crane.

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on July 24th, 2014, 12:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 6:16 pm
I see no need for the Mk 33 director when you have mk 19s. Both are for AA guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 6:34 pm
Karle94 wrote:
I see no need for the Mk 33 director when you have mk 19s. Both are for AA guns.
You're quite correct. For some reason I was operating under the false assumption that the mk-33 was a precursor to the mk-38 :oops:

Off with it's head :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 6:39 pm
You have the aircraft sitting on the catapult rails itself - they should be mounted to the sleds only. ;) That was the only way they could be mounted to the catapult.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Colosseum wrote:
You have the aircraft sitting on the catapult rails itself - they should be mounted to the sleds only. ;) That was the only way they could be mounted to the catapult.
It shall be mended. :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 8:30 pm
The planes were not always mounted on the sled. I`ve seen images of it sitting on the cat, but in front of the sled.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 9:00 pm
Karle94 wrote:
The planes were not always mounted on the sled. I`ve seen images of it sitting on the cat, but in front of the sled.
Colo is most probably right. They may not be on the slide per se, but maybe some intermediate carrage structure that will eventually attach to the sled, or the slides were detachable and ships had multiples.

http://www.modelwarships.com/features/a ... b43/10.jpg

http://navsource.org/archives/01/044/014432c.jpg

These photos each show some appliance between the float and the cata frame/rails.

I'm not an expert, however.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: What if there were no Wash.Treart: USS New Hampshire BB-Posted: July 17th, 2014, 10:13 pm
Very likely just different marks and mods of the catapult sled. The second photo definitely shows the sled I'm used to seeing - it's also visible in the first, with a slightly different version on the right. Again, I imagine these are just different marks and mods of the "launch cart" (as I believe it was called).

Either way, you wouldn't see a floatplane strapped directly to the catapult - there's no way to attach it. ;)

On a second glance, the front aircraft in the second photo is not actually on the catapult but rather on a wheeled dolly with a similar float attachment... interesting...

This photo of Washington shows launch carts on the cats themselves, with several dollies on the main deck. Now this has me really interested and I'll need to do some more research!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 16  [ 160 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 816 »

Jump to: