Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 38 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 136 37 38 39 40137 »
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Hmm. OK, thats possible. My thoughts on the arrangement as it currently is was to allow the crane to do double duty for both aircraft and boats. But I don't imagine that moving the boats as well would be all that difficult either. ;)

I'll try that and see how it works.

[ img ]

compared to the initial design
[ img ]

Not sure. The upper one, I can't figure where to put the boats. I'm sure something will come to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 11th, 2012, 6:07 pm
The lower one reminds me of the New Orleans class. I like it a lot more than the cramped feel of option #1.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 4:59 am
Yeah, I was thinking along those same lines. I kinda prefer the original arrangement with the hanger aft of the catapults.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 7:28 am
[ img ]

Well, I believe I may be satisfied with this one now.

Which obviously means I either missed something, forgot something, or got something in the wrong place. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 2:32 pm
that's a lot of windows!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 3:11 pm
The boat handling crane looks about 40 years too modern. Hydraulic cranes really weren't a thing yet, outside of some highly specialized applications AFAIK.
And while we're on the topic of boats, given their role as flagships I'd expect a much larger complement of smallcraft. I'd supplement the current motor pinnaces with some smaller cutters and launches and a couple of row boats. You're also going to need a jig boom to moore them to while at anchor. (The boom you see on the side of several ships from that era)
I'm not entirely certain if director in the aft mast is all that well placed. It's got a great view I'll give you that, but assuming it's not too heavy for the mast, vibrations are going to be a very real problem. Another potential problem is the rather large parralax compensations you'll have to perform on your fire solutions.
The signals rating is a nice touch.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Since this is an inter-war design of a heavy combatant unit (a CA), I'd give it an armored conning tower forward of the bridge.

Thiel's comments about the boat complement are right on the money, as the war progresses you'd see the boats removed in favor of AA etc, but for now you can take cues from Bezo's USS Houston CA-30 and its large amount of boats.

I would also move all the directors off the masts and above the hangar or the pilot house. Like Thiel said you're going to get a hilarious amount of vibration that high up which would be a real pain in the ass for your fire control officers!

Love the semaphore guy!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 4:30 pm
Too. Many. Portholes.

You only have enough room for the topmost row of portholes on the hull. Otherwise nice job.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 4:34 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Too. Many. Portholes.

You only have enough room for the topmost row of portholes on the hull. Otherwise nice job.
Just noticed that. Yeah, five feet (At most) is not at lot of head space.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: March 12th, 2012, 4:57 pm
5 feet between hull ports? Crap, I counted wrong. oops. I'll remove the lower row and move the upper row down a smidge.

Boats. - Most of the boats are on the port side, I didn't know how to show that though. Maybe just do the boats, then overlay everything else over them so they are just peaking over the top? That might give too many black lines melding together though. There might be room on the starboard side for 1 or 2 more, but I didn't want them to interfere with catapult operations.

Mast mounted directors - Yeah, never been too happy with that location but for the life of me can't think of any place else to put the bloody things. I believe that was one of the first things I asked when I posted rev 1 of this thing. ;) Maybe move #4 and #5 turrets aft a bit and mount them on a platform between the turrets and hanger?

Boat crane - Yes, its a more modern design than I wanted, but I tried to "oldify" (is that even a word? lol) it by opening the interior of the boom and such. Obviously, not enough. Most of the older cranes I saw on the parts sheet just looked too large. Maybe I'll try and draw something on my own.

Jig boom - forgot that.

Armored conning tower - It seems that our command personnel loath those things and rarely, if ever, used them even in combat, preferring to use the standard bridge instead, so we have tried to save weight by not including them since the early 20's. (translation - we wised up before the RN and USN did and stopped putting those things on there earlier. ;) )

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 38 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 136 37 38 39 40137 »

Jump to: