Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 3:46 pm
hand loaded 5 in guns on that position? I feel sorry for the crew.......
also, how did you get the ammo over there? you cannot make an ammo lift through the missile magazine....
also, stairs to the platform?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 4:25 pm
ace, study the Albany and you'll find exactly the same bedeviling problems. As for stairs (or ladders), yes, there are; howver, not directly from missile deck level...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 4:37 pm
albany had these platforms next to the funnels, which could have had some ammo lift build in. this is completely different from having an missile magazine underneath it.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Mind you, though I understand your concern, my friend...the FAST can actually provide the lift...hence why I choose that site; besides the fact that the platform deck on which the gun-platform rests is wide enough to accomodate it. And, as far as I know...the Albanys did not have such installations. Instead the hoist was performed by manual cranes (booms), often assisted by the FAST. It was tedious and laborsome, but, since the guns had been fitted as an expediency (like we would assume the Okie Boat's too!), there were no funds left over to make any elaborate design changes viz. the mack structure. In that sense, I've tried to follow, to the letter, BuOrd's reasoning also on the Okie Boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 9:27 pm
In fact, Albany and her sisters had a 5" handling room directly below the starboard mount.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Well, that's what I call a minimal structural change. As a matter of fact, there are pictures of the various ships of this class, which show them hauling in both 6" and 5" ammo exactly where the missile house is! So, there was a lot of manual labor involved. Not the most ideal deal, but that's what they got.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 15th, 2012, 12:58 am
TimothyC wrote:
APDAF, you of all people shouldn't be playing back-seat moderator.

Seeker36340, he's right. I am going to edit you down to one post from four shortly.

Don't do this again.

Explanation for what has happened: The content of Seeker36340's (now single) post was spread out over 4 posts. APDAF was complaining about this, and I edited Seeker36340's posts down to just one.
Double, triple, or quadruple posting is a serious sin here at Shipbucket! And it requires an entirely separate "explanation" post to show everyone what a good job our moderation team does!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: