Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 26 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 124 25 26 27 28137 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 21st, 2012, 10:19 pm
Re: your PM:

[ img ]

Redesigned turrets, reflecting your note that No.2 and No.3 turrets are doubles and the rest triples. Also note the bridge redesign.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 5:02 am
ooh. very nice. I'll include those. Do you want crediting?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 5:05 am
Nope, those are just parts (turrets) and suggestions (the bridge). It was a fun exercise anyway.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 6:04 am
ok, made a few changes. I left the boats on there as it is a tradition to have at least some ships boats on cruiser sized and up vessels. Like most traditions, it sometimes flies in the face of common sense, but thats how we do things. ;) Other recomended tweaks, however, have been added as they were very much improvements.

[ img ]

I really really like those turrets. I do appreciate the extra mile you went on those and on the bridge. I just wanted general guidelines, you gave me better than I probably could have done. Thanks lots. :)

Last edited by Zephyr on February 22nd, 2012, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 6:07 am
Not a problem, glad I could help. Only thing wrong I can spot is this: the "box" under the turret is just a reference for the width the barbette would be. On the No.4 turret it's stuck on top of the old barbette!

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 6:18 am
Colosseum wrote:
Not a problem, glad I could help. Only thing wrong I can spot is this: the "box" under the turret is just a reference for the width the barbette would be. On the No.4 turret it's stuck on top of the old barbette!
:oops:

bugger.

I'll fix that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 3:19 pm
ok, not a super-battleship.

What is is, however, is the (very) basic template for a class of cruisers to replace the Tico's I am currently using as my Mars class. Needs work, I know that, so I am looking forward to the ideas, suggestions and guffaws. OK, maybe not that last one so much. ;)

Time frame for the ships:
Group 1 - 6 ships commissioned between 1980-84
Group 2 - 16 ships commissioned between 1985-94
Group 3 - 4 ships commissioned between 1996-2000

EDIT: Obsolete Image Removed

Group 1 will be like the original Tico's with Mark 26 launchers. Group 2, virtually identical, but with Mark 41 VLS. Group 3, still working on that, but my thoughts are possibly an extended hull (20'-25') with the 4.5" guns replaced by 6" or 8", and the ships more optimized for surface combat instead of AA. Not sure how I'm going to accomplish that last bit, but I'm certain somebody will have either a brilliant idea, or convince me it is a dumb idea.

My concerns so far:
1.) funnels look a little small maybe
2.) SPY-1 tower a little short?
3.) Helo flight deck a bit smallish
4.) probably a dozen other things I haven't thought of but I'm sure will be pointed out.

alrighty then, ... ready, set, masticate

Last edited by Zephyr on February 24th, 2012, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 3:28 pm
A single funnel might be better - apart from that okay.

Perhaps fewer shafts..

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 3:42 pm
2 props is better, make the funnels larger (unless you are using diesels, in that case I would suggest joining them), add some intakes and give the SPY-1 arrays a little more space in the lenght direction, make the helideck some 3-5 m longer , best to do that by setting the hangar a bit more amidships... and you might be able to fit those ASM's amidships instead of this relatively bad place on the stern.
other then that I only have the comment that your masts look bare, but at the same time carry to many of the same systems( both SPQ-9A and B, for example) and that I myself would choose OR the phalanx OR the bofors, and maybe move that boat amidships so you can widen your helideck. some outdated parts too (mostly satcoms)

I have other points, mostly detailing, but I guess you consider this one still WIP.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 7:59 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
2 props is better, make the funnels larger (unless you are using diesels, in that case I would suggest joining them),
I was figuring probably gas like the Tico's, but I'm open to diesel. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?
acelanceloet wrote:
add some intakes
Not sure what you mean
acelanceloet wrote:
and give the SPY-1 arrays a little more space in the lenght direction, make the helideck some 3-5 m longer , best to do that by setting the hangar a bit more amidships
Agreed
acelanceloet wrote:
... and you might be able to fit those ASM's amidships instead of this relatively bad place on the stern.
umm... thats the identical location to the Harpoons on the Tico's, so I just figured if it works on real ships, it would probably work on this one.
acelanceloet wrote:
other then that I only have the comment that your masts look bare, but at the same time carry to many of the same systems( both SPQ-9A and B, for example) and that I myself would choose OR the phalanx OR the bofors, and maybe move that boat amidships so you can widen your helideck. some outdated parts too (mostly satcoms)
What else can be added that would be neccesary? the -9B is only there because of the Bofors, and I plan on removing them anyhow. As for outdated parts, do you mean the systems (this is a late 70's - early 80's design, remember), or do you mean the drawings themselves.

acelanceloet wrote:
I have other points, mostly detailing, but I guess you consider this one still WIP.
Yes, a still working project.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 26 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 124 25 26 27 28137 »

Jump to: