Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Hood
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 7th, 2014, 7:50 am
A very fine series.

One small nitpick, could you use the same HACS as you have on the bridge/ foremast for the aft one too? Right now you've got 1 new and 1 old part and it looks a bit odd. The old HACS was too small.

I don't think 4x2 5in was feasible for several reasons, weight might not have been an issue but the topweight would be, also the magazines and hoists needed would entail a lot of work. Also the magazine capacity would in effect by halved given the number of barrels has doubled. There wasn't an offical twin 5in version as far as I know, at least Friedman doesn't mention one.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 7th, 2014, 8:16 am
Thanks for the comments Hood,

I will change the HACS over - not a big job, The 8x5" was a purely personal design, and as you say would have required a lot of work - not least a change of propulsion to up the generation power as the US weaponry/control systems were heavily into electrical power. This time steal the USS Edisons power plant too - not just her guns :) .

At present all of these are still posted into Personal Designs, I still need to know which one(s) should go over to the Never Were section.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 7th, 2014, 1:41 pm
I would say the first four would qualify as real never-were's.

To stay within the realms of real-world, these need some changes to the light AA. Only one quad pom-pom was planned and these all have three. Its possible additional pom-poms may have been added later but I don't know how much topweight would be left over to allow this.
All would probably have 2x quad MGs given they were planned for 1941 completion. Some may of had a couple of single 20mm if spares were available.
I feel the foremast HACS was most likely in the this timeframe, perhaps with a minimally changed superstructure/ bridge. As ever its always interpretation when your lacking the full details, we can only go by what happened to the Cs and to some extent Delhi.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: