Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 519 »
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 5th, 2014, 12:59 pm
have tweeked my Type 21 a little on Bezobrazovs advice, I suspect Ikara would be removed in the 1990's but as I like the ideal of a nuclear depthcharge using the WE177 warhead I'd like to think It would stay.
[ img ]
compared to the original
[ img ]
next up is a modified River class bought by my country from 2011 4 of these serve a variety of mission including fisheries patrol, customs patrols etc.
[ img ]
next up a blast from the past. Ex RN HMS Lethiathan Majestic Class carrier in both 1960's and 1990's condition.
[ img ]
[ img ]
finally looking to the future and 2020 brings big capability increase to the NAVY.
[ img ]

EDIT: I have changed my Majestic class carriers to Centaur Class as my chosen aircraft to operate from 1960's to 1990's would be to big and heavy for a majestic hull as informed by Trojan and bombhead.

Last edited by shippy2013 on February 6th, 2014, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 5th, 2014, 9:08 pm
Nice to see you back Shippy after escaping the hospital. :P
Not sure you are going to get away with Buccaneers on a Majestic hull though. The Argentinians found that out back in 82 when they couldn't launch their fully bombed up A4s in zero wind conditions from Vienticinco de Mayo. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 5th, 2014, 9:12 pm
Mmmmmmmm..... was thinking fleet commonality with my airforce. what about the Vixens she too is quite large and heavy, suppose I could add a ground attack capability to them. Otherwise I may have to look at French etendard IV or similar 1960's era carrier strike plane that could in theory stretch out a service till the 90's...... I extended the cat thinking that may help used one based on your hermes drawing.....

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 5th, 2014, 9:29 pm
If you wanna go with Vixens and Buccaneers I would use the Centaur class instead in the AU, if you prefer the Majestic class the Entendard and A-4 are probably the biggest you can go and even they would be hard to operate

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 5th, 2014, 9:35 pm
Suppose I could go with Britain having built 6 of the planned 8 centaur's instead of the 4 built, I could have taken what would have become Monmouth and Polyphemus but built to the same modified design as Hermes and commission directly to my au in 1962 ish......

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 5th, 2014, 9:43 pm
That's a good point Trojan. I suppose the other thing you have to look at is the size of the air wing you could carry. Be better of going for a Centaur mate.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 6th, 2014, 12:34 pm
Ok on advice from Trojan and Bombhead i've gone for the Centaur class based on Britain building 6 of the planned 8 carriers these would have been Centaur, Albion and Bulwark all built to the original design (well sort of), then Hermes, Monmouth and Polyphemus all built to the modified Hermes design. here is Ex RN HMS Monmouth as NCNS Cromer as commissioned in New Cromer's Navy in 1968
[ img ]
and Ex RN HMS Polyphemus NCNS Victoria as in Commission in 1994. both carriers are upgraded to similar standards throughout there careers till decommissioning in 2004.
[ img ]
after 2004 NCNS Cromer was sent to Turkey for breaking and NCNS Victoria is laid up in New Cromer Naval Station awaiting her fate. they were replaced by the two Oceanic class assault carriers which in turn will be replaced by the CVF in 2020.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 7th, 2014, 1:41 pm
After a PM from Bombhead ive taken the centaur story for New Cromer on a little. So my Country buys 2 under construction Centaur class carriers in the early 1950's construction is delayed and not completed till around 1964-68, What would have become HMS Monmouth Built is to the same modified design as Hermes in 1959, and what would have been HMS Polyphemus is completed to a more improved design lift moved to opposite side and a second waist cat fitted.
Here is NCNS Cromer as commissioned in 1965. she is built to the Hermes design.
[ img ]
Here is NCNS Victoria she was built to a modified design and was commissioned in 1968, she has her deck edge lift moved to the opposite side and a waist cat added.
[ img ]
In 1994 NCNS Cromer went through a similar Conversion to The RN HMS Hermes a number of Years earlier she was formed more as a commando carrier and given a ski jump to operate Harrier Jump Jets. NCNS Victoria did not receive the same modifications following a serious fire in 1992 and was deemed to costly to repair therefor till 2000 when the 2 new Oceanic class carrier entered servive the Navy had one carrier.
[ img ]
New Cromers Centaur story ends in 2004 when NCNS Cromer is decommissioned after 50 years service. NCNS Victoria is cut up in 1996 and as of 2014 NCNS Cromer is laid up in New Cromer Naval station in a deteriorating state awaiting her fate.

[Profile] [Quote]
shippy2013
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 11th, 2014, 9:13 pm
Next up is the Fort 2 Class Replanishment ship, Ex RN Fort George, she was purchased from the UK in 2011 following her withdrawal after the 2010 SDR. she was refitted at Devonport dockyard in the UK and fitted with 2 Phalanx guns, and the VLS Sea Wolf she was intended to have on construction, her RAS equipment was completely rebuilt and she is also kitted out to act as a support vessel to mine sweeper operations part of the reason for the fitting of the Sea Wolf system to offer protection to her mine sweeper flotilla normally made up of up to 6 craft. capable of operating up to 4 Merlin sized helicopters. most of my countries naval assets are sorced from the UK, my country has no indigenous ship building industry with any military experience. there is a ship yard that builds small container ships, ice breakers etc a couple of which will follow soon.

[ img ]

Last edited by shippy2013 on February 12th, 2014, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Some Desigs for my AUPosted: February 11th, 2014, 9:37 pm
That bow thruster is way, way too far back.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 19  [ 186 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 519 »

Jump to: