Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 7th, 2013, 4:53 am
I'm looking more for something that could plausibly be used as a "coast guard" type of vessel, which gets hastily refitted with weapons when war breaks out. IE, not something designed from the ground up as a combat vessel (like 90% of the suggestions in this thread). It's going to be operated as a security boat basically by a group of policemen... it's not an MTB or missile boat making cruise missile attacks. ;)

I think the YMS class fits the bill for this (more or less). I'm going to reduce its speed to around 7 knots, citing inadequate maintenance and the uncivilized climate.

ACE: let me know if (weight wise), this would make sense: (and any suggestions you'd have)

I believe the minesweeping equipment in the stern will be removed and replaced with a motor launch and davits and possibly a single Bofors 40mm right aft (or a 20mm Oerlikon single if the Bofors is too heavy). The forward 3"/50 will be replaced by a single 40mm Bofors (or possibly a double if this keeps the ship balanced). The wing 20mm mounts will be replaced by .50-caliber machine guns citing cost of 20mm rounds as the reason. The SG surface search radar will be retained, but by 1968 (time of the story), a component has failed and the operators were not able to obtain a replacement. The depth charge projectors will be curiously retained but the charges landed at the boat's home port. I am planning on using the landed depth charges later on in the story.

Any other ideas?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 7th, 2013, 5:29 am
Well, if you want to keep the weight down you'll probably have to stick to the Mk 3 Single.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 7th, 2013, 9:05 am
sounds doable, but I haven't got the weights of these systems ready.....
if you want them on the same deck, check the weight of the minesweeping equipment and try to get the same weight in 'new stuff' if you are putting it higher or lower, the center of gravity might move up or down which affects stability, so that would make calculations a lot more complicated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 7th, 2013, 10:08 pm
Look into the Italian folder and search for PB used in the Suez channels: those were YMS minesweeper built in Italy under licence: you could see that were modified in the stern equipment with an extra air conditioning system
Another interesting example could be the Cousteau's ship, also coming from a BYMS but with strong modifications.

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 7th, 2013, 10:51 pm
I've decided on the FM class coastal minesweepers as a baseline. I particularly like the SS Socrates of Romania WhyMe has drawn. I think they fit the bill of the "Congo river steamer" quite perfectly. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 8th, 2013, 12:46 am
[ img ]

1927. Boat brought into service as NPS Terrible and used as a passenger and mail steamer on the Mbenga River (SMS' version of the Congo). It was given a single outdated Maxim gun for self-defense, mounted on a raised platform aft.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 8th, 2013, 5:26 am
Does anyone have a drawing of a single Bofors? I don't think the USN-style double mount will fit on that after deckhouse. Probably too big...

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 8th, 2013, 5:33 am
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=16&t=65
Theres one on the British Parts Sheet
Above the 40mm Mk 6 and under the PomPoms

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 8th, 2013, 5:55 am
... and here's the 1960 version.

[ img ]

Note addition of smoke screen generator aft, single 40mm Bofors gun on the aft deckhouse, addition of two Vickers Mk.1 machine guns on the quarterdeck, and 20mm Oerlikon forward. Also note reinforced mast with SG radar atop, and VHF radio whip antenna on the bridge. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Looking for a river gunboat for SMS...Posted: January 8th, 2013, 7:01 am
Mortars...no reason not to mount the largest you can find..... I'd also see about replacing that 20mm with a quad .50 mount. Also, since this is Africa, snazzy, bad ass camo scheme a must.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: