Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 24th, 2012, 9:56 pm
I agree with Colosseum.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 25th, 2012, 12:48 am
Holy crap, someone actually did a what-if CC-Lexington rebuild that isn't completely braindead at all!

Anyway, excellent work AVALMA and way to keep proving your title as King of Shipbucket.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 25th, 2012, 12:54 am
bezobrazov wrote:
Actually Alex they'd have constituted the core of at least two if not three Scouting Forces ( not Task Forces/Groups yet), assuming all of them (6) would've been completed, so, one group would've been stationed in the Atlantic, the other in the Pacific, and thus would've been with Halsey's carriers, under Rear Adm. Spruance, at the time of Pearl Harbor...thus, if that attack still would've taken place these ships would've been at sea, safe from the Japanese assault ...
It really depends. The carriers themselves missed being at Pearl Harbor by, IIRC, a few hours - and that's (also IIRC) including the time they spent sitting just outside the harbor proper waiting for Nevada to stop blocking the way in (and I'm not gonna lie, this history lesson is provided by way of Tora! Tora! Tora! Don't let movies teach you history stay in school kids). In fact the only reason why Pennsylvania was there at all was because she was in drydock getting a light refit.

So there could be reasons for one of them to be there, but could is different from definitive.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 25th, 2012, 1:58 am
klagldsf, that's what I meant. It was assumed that they'd be damaged, as if per certainty. I only explained what the most likely likelihood might have been. Certainly, for some brain dead reason, Adm. Kimmel could've ordered the battle cruisers to stay behind, affording the carriers only Spruance's cruisers, but, considering why, in the first place the BC:s were planned and designed, it certainly wouldn't have made sense! And, you're right, it was, in a wide sense, an unfortunate timing by the Japanese to attack when they did, at about 8 am, instead of, say a couple of hours later. Then the Declaration of War would've been handed in the proper way to the State Dept, instead of waiting to be laboriously translated at the Embassy, and the attack would not have been construed as a sneak attack, but rather as a legitimate one! And, quite possibly Halsey's group would've entered Pearl and gotten trapped! But that's an entirely different story now...

(Oh, and in case that Tora, Tora, Tora reference was aimed at me, which I'm not entirely sure about, I might want to let you know that I have a degree in history, so I'm not exactly a kid, rather quite the opposite, and I'm also a member of the US Naval Institute)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 25th, 2012, 3:17 am
My drawing of CL-47 in 1941 shows measure 1 (dark gray 5-D on all horizontal surfaces below the funnel tops, and light gray 5-L above).

Here is my camouflage color sheet:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 25th, 2012, 6:07 am
bezobrazov wrote:
(Oh, and in case that Tora, Tora, Tora reference was aimed at me, which I'm not entirely sure about, I might want to let you know that I have a degree in history, so I'm not exactly a kid, rather quite the opposite, and I'm also a member of the US Naval Institute)
No, I was just pointing out that that was my source of info as I just felt too lazy to really look up any deep references. The "don't let movies teach you history stay in school kids" was because I want to discourage members following my lazy example and open themselves up to counter-examples and internet pwnage :p

As for the rest of my post I was just opening up to AVALMA that he could do a Tennesse-type rebuild but it would be circumstantially stretching credibility for what you cited.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 25th, 2012, 3:14 pm
klagldsf wrote:
bezobrazov wrote:
Actually Alex they'd have constituted the core of at least two if not three Scouting Forces ( not Task Forces/Groups yet), assuming all of them (6) would've been completed, so, one group would've been stationed in the Atlantic, the other in the Pacific, and thus would've been with Halsey's carriers, under Rear Adm. Spruance, at the time of Pearl Harbor...thus, if that attack still would've taken place these ships would've been at sea, safe from the Japanese assault ...
It really depends. The carriers themselves missed being at Pearl Harbor by, IIRC, a few hours - and that's (also IIRC) including the time they spent sitting just outside the harbor proper waiting for Nevada to stop blocking the way in (and I'm not gonna lie, this history lesson is provided by way of Tora! Tora! Tora! Don't let movies teach you history stay in school kids). In fact the only reason why Pennsylvania was there at all was because she was in drydock getting a light refit.

So there could be reasons for one of them to be there, but could is different from definitive.
Enterprise was certainly a few hours away from port when the attck happened, in fact, IIRC, some of her planes flew into the aftermath and got shot down by American gunners who were to jumpy to check what they were shooting at.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 26th, 2012, 12:53 am
Thanks klags for the clarification.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 26th, 2012, 11:05 am
Thank you very much guys!!!!!! Oh that's great Colo! I'll try them!!!

[Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Mighty Lex as she should have been!Posted: February 26th, 2012, 4:47 pm
klagldsf wrote:
As for the rest of my post I was just opening up to ALVAMA that he could do a Tennesse-type rebuild but it would be circumstantially stretching credibility for what you cited.
Yea that would be cool indeed. I am gonna draw Tennesse too, so that would be a great step to refit this one again!

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 32 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: