Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 17 18 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 21st, 2015, 9:39 am
I quite agree Hood.

The ships that have been posted to this thread have explored all sorts of designs from standard layouts to some exceptionally well thought out variations.

Well done one and all.

Hopefully there are a couple more to come (Hoods Nelson type I am very interested to see).

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 21st, 2015, 10:37 am
Thank for all the comments.

I was afraid to be riddled with criticism, as i've dare to post this drawing just after the masterpiece of Garlic (one more....). :D

To answer the questions:
- Oops! i didn't checked for those windows after positioning the turrets. Should fix it....
- And the winner is.......Krakatoa: Yes the space between the conning-tower and the front turret is for the retractable catapults. i was willing to had an inset to show this, but i've meditated on the way to do it elegantly.
- there are 4 cranes: one at aft to handle the motor launch, to on the side of the funnels to handle the boats, one in front of the conning-tower to handle the float planes.
- Concerning the power plant, the funnel was supposed to keep going slantwise under the deck so the boilers should be almost in front of it (as on the Yamato layout). I thought there should remain enough space between the boilers and the rear turrets to fit the turbines.
But has my ship is suppose to use an turbo-electric transmission, i was wondering how it would work if i put the turbines in front of the boilers (though this would give the smoke pipe a very tormented course).......

I will fix the drawing and add caracteristics of the ship, as soon as i can.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 21st, 2015, 10:55 am
Hi waritem,

If you're using turbo-electric you've got a lot more freedom as to where to place the turbines - even high-voltage cabling can do corners a lot better than a prop shaft - so you should be able to place boilers behind turbines from that perspective. Not sure what it does to weight distribution, that'd need somebody who's good at this rather than somebody who's read what the people who are good at this say ;)

EDIT: One point, though, is the turbo-electric may not be suitable for weight-limited designs - it need something like 25% more weight for the same power, iirc.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 21st, 2015, 12:35 pm
Waritem, I like the the distinctive design (and yes it looks very 30s IJN).

A few Qs,
- Where is it built ? (and is it built in a 25kt/12' treaty world ?) if a treaty power is building it I think you will be forced to use 12' guns (does your AU Crete have the ability to make 15' and turrets ?)

-
Quote:
This combined with only two triple main gun turrets could have drastically reduced the armored citadel
your ship doesn't look like it has a very small citadel IMO and TE with 4 shafts (what speed) will not make it that small ?

- Overall I think you will be very tight for 25,000t but without speed/protection its hard to tell ?

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 21st, 2015, 3:11 pm
In my AU, as said in the description of the ship, the Cretan Republican Navy is a strong navy compared to the size of the country but it remains too small to be invited to sign the Washigton treaty.
Thus she is not limited by it, but the treaty limit's are watched to know what the major navies (especially regia marina) will be able to launch.

In practice, the 1930's generation cretan warship use diesel electric engines, as the weight issue is not a problem (the only real limit in cretan design is manpower to handle the ships).
So let's say that this is a version of the ship with classic geared steam turbine, as a diesel/electric version would pass the limit's.

As i've said the citadel could have been small if the turrets would have been more closely spaced with the conning tower, but as the cretan are focused on arc of fire and quick target change they look for turrets able to turn 360°. So, No the citadel is not small.

concerning things more about my AU nation history (ability to build 15' guns for exemple) this will be discussed in a post to come (i don't want to overload this post with that).

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 21st, 2015, 3:28 pm
Some very nice additions and designs in this thread!

@Garlicdesign:
An interesting concept and as usual very well executed.
Though it does look a little odd with two tubemasts, it makes perfect sense as you have described.

A few very minor nitpicks if i may:
- The 20mm Oerlikon aka C/29 was never really adopted in numbers in the Kriegsmarine. By 1938 the 20mm C/30 would have been the better choice.
- Your aft SL-1/2 and your fwd 3m rangefinders are pointing the wrong way (towards the masts).
- You seem to have added viewing slits to the fwd 10.5m rangefinder(?). Those were grabhandles on the real Deutschland.
- I think the position of the FUMO 24/25 on the rear tubemast would severly limit its ark. You might want to exchange a searchlight platform for it.

Other than that, great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 21st, 2015, 8:49 pm
Hello everyone!

Thanks Maomatic, good to learn from a true expert. I've adressed the issues stated, all of them are sensible.

- turret B 2px lowered, has now same level as turret A
- the 1938 version had tle light flak changed (the 1944 version already has the Flak 30); originally I had chosen the Oerlikon for the as-designed outfit, when the Flak 30 was not yet available, but the ship would probably not be commissioned prior to 1933, and by that time, the KM would use the Flak 30)
- directors turned the right way
- Radar moved aft
- forward main director corrected (the thing was originally dark gray, forgot the handlings while recolouring)

and, by the way: the 88mm twins of the heavy flak were exchanged with 105mm twins in C/37 turrets on the 1944 version.

@waritem:

Now that's a cool design - totally over the top and very original, I like it very much (although I look forward to the backstory that allows such a ship to be built by an nation like Crete with less than half a million inhabitants and no economy at all ;) ). Springsharp (I know, a blunt instrument) likes it: assuming 210m length at cwl, 26 m width and 8,8 m draught, she would have exactly 25.000 standard; with six 370mm main guns and 20 127mm DP secondaries, she can be fitted with turboelectric engines of 80.000 hp for 27 knots and enough oil for 8.000 miles range @ 15kts, a 325mm belt and a 140mm deck, which makes her a very well balanced design and an excellent seaboat into the bargain, considerably better than the modernized Italian WWI-vintage BBs.

A minor nitpick, if you don't mind: the forward flak director looks like it cannot be trained much, unless it's placed on an enormously wide sponson.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:36 am
Since David has kindly made his French Part sheets available I thought I would make use of it.

News of the new Graf Spee leaked from Germany with one important detail slightly different. It was put about that the Graf Spee would be armed with 6x12" (2x3) rather than the 6x13.8" it was completed with (see page 6).

To counter the new ship the French laid down the two ships of the Dunkerque Class. Declared as 25,000 ton ships they ended up at 29,000 tons as the original armoured belt of 8" was increased to 10" and the failure of the 5.1" dual purpose guns meant the ship had to be redesigned to take 6" and 3.9" weapons.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am
You've done near enough exactly what I was thinking of doing! :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Proposed 25,000 ton Battleships and BattlecruisersPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:52 am
Sorry BB :(

Could not resist those part sheets. Being a kitbasher at heart it was just too good to refuse.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 18  [ 173 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 17 18 »

Jump to: