Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 5th, 2014, 11:43 am
just post all that make sense, don't choose one ;) (if you weren't doing that already)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 5th, 2014, 1:35 pm
I'm with Ace, post all three. All will be of interest.

Good question. The early C conversions simply put the HACS where the spotting top was. Later conversions, and Delhi, more thoroughly rebuilt the bridge and installed a new tripod foremast aft of bridge ahead of the funnel. I think for your timeline and rebuild, the latter is the best option. You want to fit a new tripod aft too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 5th, 2014, 8:08 pm
HMS Delhi also had the new bridge because the US Mk.37 GFCS needed below deck space for the analogue computers, which were used to target and control the guns.
And yes, please post all three versions.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 5th, 2014, 9:08 pm
What I will do for everybody is to post my AA worksheet which is loaded in Dropbox. One of the things that I like about Dropbox is that every time I save changes to a drawing in my Dropbox folder they are automatically updated to my SB posted drawing. Great saving in time.

So now whenever you pop in to SB over the next few days have a look at this thread and you should see the drawings taking shape as I add and subtract bits and pieces to each version. I may well end up with more than 3 versions yet.

[ img ]

I can not seem to see a Delhi (original) in the archives, so I may do a real version of that while I do the rest (version 4)...

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 5th, 2014, 11:36 pm
Is there a decent side view in Friedmans of the Delhi conversion? If so could someone copy it for me please.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 6th, 2014, 12:10 pm
Nice work so far.

Don't forget though the 4.5in designs only had 4x2 mounts, not 5x2!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 6th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Finished the AA variations. If you can tell me what we like and dislike. I have tried to give enough variations for all.

Ok altered all to 8x4.5", 10x4", 5x5", 8x5".

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 6th, 2014, 1:44 pm
Well much as I have a soft spot for the RN,

The 8x5 US would be a very powerful ship (but would you really not just put them on a better hull say a Dido !)

After that the 4.5 make more sense as DP guns but the 4 inch will be more available and lighter so probably makes more sense as a pure AA ship (I'm surprised that you only get 2 more guns, and you have less 40mm ?)

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 6th, 2014, 8:50 pm
Friedman's book has the HMS Delhi as an AA cruiser (after conversion), and I'll try to have it scanned and set to you via PM (copyrights rules, you know).
As a side note, I would like to say that for a very long time I entertained the idea of doing HMS Delhi as an AA cruiser, but since you are already had practically had done done I salute you effort (and any way I'm concentrating on merchant ships any way).

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Danae Class AA Cruiser conversionsPosted: October 6th, 2014, 9:36 pm
Thank you Novice,

That would be great and let me check that I have everything in the right positions for Delhi. The 5x5" version above is Delhi as converted in the US done from some nasty jpg's I got off the net and had in stock.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: