Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 15th, 2014, 11:22 pm
Added rebuilt CV, HMS Lord Gambier, with alternate airgroup of Gloster Griffons, Blackburn Skuas, and Fairey SeaBattles.

The rebuilding of the four ships of the Kitchener class brought them well in line with later purpose built carriers, while the air group was still modest, the better more capable aircraft made up the difference.

The anti-aircraft battery is showing signs of the major increases that would be added over the next 5-6 years (if they last that long).

Thanks for the comment Mihoshik.

Edit: one to go, the rebuilt BC's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 16th, 2014, 3:38 am
Finished side view of HMS Reliant, after rebuilding in 1940/41 outfit of guns and radar.

HMS Reliant has had bulges fitted at which time the old 11" belt armour removed and replaced with a 12" slab. The ship has been gutted from B to X turret, while old superstructure removed, new boilers and engines fitted. A new addition of 3" of armour to the main deck increased the horizontal armour to a respectable 5.5". New superstructure fitted with ten twin turrets of the 4.5" guns. Six octuple 2pounder mountings fitted into and around the fore and aft superstructure. The last of the 0.5" quad machine guns were removed from the turret tops and replaced with the new twin 40mm mounting. More space would be found for extra 40mm mountings in the future. Aircraft handling equipment and hangar areas fitted in aft superstructure.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 16th, 2014, 7:16 am
Very nice !

Is it worth rebelting in 1940/41 ? I would have thought that 12 slabs would be very short post 37 and better used on new ships ? and the benefit isn't very great compared to extra deck ?

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 16th, 2014, 12:12 pm
Excellent looking ships!
I've no problem with refitting a new belt if something is lying around. I suspect it would be more modern (harder) armour than the original 1914-16 era stuff.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 16th, 2014, 12:55 pm
Thanks for your comments.

Yes the production of case hardened armour went through various phases reaching its peak in the late 30's.

I am glad you like them Hood since 90% of the original side view parts come from your original drawings. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 16th, 2014, 7:51 pm
I can't imagine they'd narrow the aft part of the Gambier's flightdeck like that in a refit. It cuts down tremendously on parking space, and I can't think of a real reason they would do it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 16th, 2014, 9:42 pm
No definately not a good idea to do away with the full width flight deck aft. That would be an awefully small fantail to aim for. :shock: As well as all the other disadvantages. Good looking drawings Nigel.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 17th, 2014, 5:21 am
I have taken aboard Bombheads and Mihoshiks comments and rebuilt the back end of the Lord Gambier.

With the completion of the overhead for the Reliant, that is the end of this series.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, without those comments, good and bad, I would not learn and my kitbashes get better, my overheads are ok but not up to Heuhens standard yet.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 17th, 2014, 4:59 pm
They are all very nice well done !

My only thoughts would be that the CV could just have the same stern as it had before, why rebuild the rear part of the flight deck and elevators when you don't have to ? (HMT would be pleased ;) )

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Dmitri97
Post subject: Re: Alternate Renown Class Fast-Battleship/Battlecruiser 191Posted: September 18th, 2014, 2:56 am
Fantastic ships! I wish these were built instead of the ships that actually were!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: