Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
KHT
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: August 16th, 2013, 3:52 pm
Thank you! Designing mainly the conning tower was... well, hell(it always is). Doing the rest was simple, but getting the right feel to that one was really hard. I ended up making it a cross between the Tre Kronor class cruiser and the Thörnell class CDS NW, a result which I'm actually quite happy with. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: August 17th, 2013, 12:51 am
Sorry for the double-post...
Novice, my friend, you were absolutely right. The main turrets have been enlargened to the correct size(no idea where the old size came from), and I've also redone the AA weaponry(Mainly using the new Bofors 40 mm drawing, but replacing the 25 mm mounts with a new drawing, IMO looking better, and matching the 40 mm mount to some degree).
I've gotten sources for a top-view of the Thörnell-ship, so I might do a top-view as well(the main problem was the FC, but the blueprints in question feature top views for the directors, which means this is no longer a real problem).

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: August 31st, 2013, 1:30 am
Updated with redrawn directors and a topview, a duo of single Bofors 40 mm has been added amidship, and the report has been altered to show this.

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: August 31st, 2013, 1:05 pm
Interesting and plausable design with Swedish late 30ies lines.

I am not sure about the name though, the most common name in line for the next generation of CDS in the RSwN should be "Tre Kronor" which later was given to the light cruiser in 1947.

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: August 31st, 2013, 8:44 pm
Thank you very much! I worked quite a bit to get the lines right. Also, if you remember it, this is in a way my continuation of the Baltic Dreadnought discussion on Skalman. :)

Regarding the name... I chose Fäderneslandet mostly becouse I felt it fitted the ship. Tre Kronor is for me, and will probably always be, the beautiful cruiser from the late '40s. I'd have a hard time considering this ship a "Tre Kronor". She was Fäderneslandet from the beginning of designing, and she'll keep that name. Thank you for the advice though, I'll try and keep it in mind for the future. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 4:49 pm
I just noticed this, but those 40mm tubs are going to be tight. You need enough room directly behind the gun for the ammo handlers and ready ammo racks.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 8:06 pm
Better?

[Profile] [Quote]
Psilander
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: September 4th, 2013, 2:00 pm
I was thinking about the boiler/ funnel layout. I looks like you use the "Gotland" layout (range between the funnels and funnels). Most CDS designs i Sweden during the 1930s struggeled to have one funnel (even the old ships where rebuildt when they got new boilers to single funnel/ truncked funnel) layout. I think it would be more appropiate with one big funnel.

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: September 4th, 2013, 2:18 pm
Yeah, the Gotland was my main inspiration for the two funnels. I did consider a singular funnel initially, but I wasn't sure she'd be able to reach her 28 knots with only one. If you say she would though, I'll try and fix it.
I'm curious though, why did they want singular funnels? Was it about top-weight, or is there some other advantage to single funnels?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: HSwMS Fäderneslandet: The Swedish VanguardPosted: September 4th, 2013, 2:38 pm
trunked funnels are actually heavier then split ones. that said, the main advantage is an unobstructed field of sight and fire. also, the placement further from platforms and directors makes these less vulnerable to smoke.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: