Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 7:17 am
I think I recognize the coppering ;) Very tidy and sleek vessel Rowdy

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 10:27 am
Thanks Rodondo, well if it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

Update with (I think) Dolphin striker, spanker gaff, catshead and anchor added, and with the main mast moved further aft.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 11:05 am
Looking good.

Another thing I notice is that in reality the copper bottom wasn't a horizontal line as shown in your drawing. It followed the contours of the hull and as a result had a noticeable curve along it. This is most noticable in some of the surviving vessels from the period. Not sure if you could realistically incorporate that however as it would not be within SB standards for showing the waterline.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 4:19 pm
Great work so far, Rowdy36!
Any guys, no need to link own drawings - Rowdy36 is smart enough to find stuff himself ;)

[Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 6:40 pm
perfect. id say its ready to be rigged

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 9th, 2012, 6:44 pm
the brig sail seems a bit on the small side, and I suppose you have drawn the spars under a 45 degrees angle with 'the screen' ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 10th, 2012, 4:14 am
shoot, i forgot to suggest hammock nets, Constellation doesn't have any because she doesn't carry broadside guns on the spar deck but it was common practice during the age of sail to store the triced up hammocks in nets mounted on the ship's railing during the day so the berth deck was clear for the watch that wasn't on duty to eat/hang out on. this also served to air out the hammocks and sandbagged the deck, plus if your hammock got blown up you had to pay the nay for a new one- brilliant government logic.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 10th, 2012, 6:34 am
Looks interesting so far. Good work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 10th, 2012, 9:12 am
Haha thanks Alvama! ;)
I see what you mean Denodon. I think it does look better without the completely straight waterline, and many sailing ships on the bucket seem to have a curve, so I think I'll go with that.
I'll have a look at that sail Ace (is that the largest/lowest one on the main mast?), and regards the spar angle I'm going for a similar look to Darthpanda's HMS Surprise.
Would hammock nets extend the whole length of the ship or just part of it? Sounds perfectly logical, unless yours is the hammock that blows up :lol:
Thanks eswube :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Napoleonic era BrigPosted: October 10th, 2012, 3:49 pm
New update:

[ img ]

Is that a decent representation of hammock netting? Are the ratlines too heavy on the drawing? If there are no major problems I'll start the daunting task of adding in the rigging soon...

(Forgive the double post Rhade)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 66 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: