Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 4th, 2012, 4:02 pm
I like it, they're kinda blockishly good looking ships.
LEUT_East wrote:
I hope my decision to use the name HMAS Australia for the submitted vessel is not deemed too controversial. I am sure Rowdy and Portsmouth Bill might comment on my choice of name. For the second of class, I am considering using the name HMAS Tasmania.
Now I'm going to have to comment :P
But I don't see anything too controversial about naming her Australia, the name has generally been used for the most powerful ship in the navy - at least in the first half of last century - so I don't think it would be too out of place here. I like the name Tasmania too, I wonder why we don't name ships after states in real life?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 4th, 2012, 4:50 pm
Yes, I agree with Rowdy, Ausrtralia is a time honoured name, and sure, we should be using States for naming, following the USN custom :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 4th, 2012, 5:55 pm
I've always liked the way the Spruance/Kidds looked.

You should take my name off the drawing, IIRC all I did was draw the underwater hull and I'm not entirely sure that it's accurate. I'm enough of a man to not need credit for an underwater hull. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 4th, 2012, 6:21 pm
Colosseum wrote:
I've always liked the way the Spruance/Kidds looked.

You should take my name off the drawing, IIRC all I did was draw the underwater hull and I'm not entirely sure that it's accurate. I'm enough of a man to not need credit for an underwater hull. ;)
as far as I know, at least the midships and stern are accurate. I am waiting on refs/an checkup of somebody of the sonar dome though......... but consider it accurate enough, colo ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 4th, 2012, 7:18 pm
OK well it was done years ago before I became extremely exacting in my drawing process. Either way I don't need credit for it. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 4th, 2012, 10:59 pm
When are they commisioned? and are u going for a mk.26 then modernization replacement of these with VLS or VLS from the beginning
Very good and interesting though :)

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 4th, 2012, 11:19 pm
Two (two and a half, with SPG-60) directors is pretty unexciting for two Mk 13 (which, indeed, ought to be Mk 26).

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 5th, 2012, 1:12 am
I'll step up and defend the Mk 13 - it's a very "export friendly" launcher (the only Mk 26s ever exported outside the U.S. came attached to the Kidds) and it might be one of those things that get slapped on because the prospective buyer doesn't feel like ponying up for anything else. Now you loose ASROC capability, which would be a major point of this ship (unless you want Ikara instead, and you can use the mag space to your advantage by shipping Harpoon in them).

BTW, you need some sort of ASW weapon if you're going to have the standard Kidd sonar. I'd rather sacrifice the aft gun for an Ikara launcher, for example, than keep the present state.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 5th, 2012, 9:55 am
Another imaginitive idea. It looks good and plausible and its certainly a very interesting idea.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Australia Class DDG - Kidd/Ticonderoga Class kitbashPosted: May 5th, 2012, 3:29 pm
klagldsf wrote:
I'll step up and defend the Mk 13 - it's a very "export friendly" launcher (the only Mk 26s ever exported outside the U.S. came attached to the Kidds) and it might be one of those things that get slapped on because the prospective buyer doesn't feel like ponying up for anything else.
Sure, but only a total of (amusingly) 26 Mk 26 launchers were ever put into service; the poor thing was somewhat short-circuited in service life by the Mk 41. Reflecting on the paucity of exported Mk 26 shouldn't be interpreted as some sort of export-unfrieldliness (aside from the size of the GMLS itself, which is not relevant here). As for discussions about cost, the cost of integrating the different launcher and different combat system ought not be discounted. Presumably Kidd already exists in this world.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: