Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 25th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Thiel wrote:
A high endurance OPV of some sort.27ish knots, small crew, a couple of high speed boats, hanger for one or two medium helicopters, long endurance, long range, a single light gun and a brace of HMGs and that's it.
why the 27 knots? a long range and that speed seem to be kinda hard to combine, well at least on an relatively small and cheap hull.
apart from that speed, my idea for an long range anti-piracy OPV seems to match all that... - starting to work -

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 25th, 2011, 7:45 pm
rifleman wrote:
Was reading another forum were members were speculating about the perfect anti-piracy vessels. I thought to myself wouldn't that be a good project for shipbucket artists based on existing designs or personal designs.
Well first are the ground conditions:
  1. Any serious anti-piracy patrol is going to have multiple vessels including a support tender.
    • This means that while range is important it isn't as important as it otherwise might be.
    • This support ship should have some command capabilities which probably limits us to either the Durrance, Supply, or Lewis and Clark class (I'm welcome to other suggestions).
  2. The Primary deployment is going to be via helicopter, so the ship should have one, preferably two hangers.
  3. We need numbers - this means that we're not dealing with a Burkeswarm, or LPD-17s everywhere (no matter how effective they may be).
  4. Ship's speed is nice, but above a certain level thing's just don't get done.
  5. Places to keep the pirates once we have them arrested.
So from the above it becomes apparent that we're looking for a large OPV or a frigate.

Coming from the US that gives us the following options:
  1. LCS-1 (either with full engines, or my choice of a down-rated power plant for more range)
  2. LCS-2 (either with full engines, or my choice of a down-rated power plant for more range)
  3. Legend Class Cutter
  4. CPCX (USCG version)
  5. Littoral refit OHP Link

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 25th, 2011, 8:43 pm
my take on an perfect anti-piracy vessel.
[ img ]
it is based on the Holland Class, which are build as anti-piracy and drug operations OPV's. I lengthened the design a bit though, because the Holland has an relatively short range. the real one has this short range because it is build 'only' for the Netherlands Antilles, and is because of that not that suitable for use in for example Somalia or Malasia.

above main deck level I have also made some changes. the larger superstructure gives some additional space, which I used for extra accomodation and an helicopter maintenance depot. because of that there can be carried 2 NH-90 helicopters all the time instead of only optional.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 25th, 2011, 9:04 pm
The Holland class would be my choice but would stick with a Lynx/wildcat sized helecopter with an Enforcer class mother ship

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 25th, 2011, 9:11 pm
both have their possibilities. while an lynx has slightly more speed and is smaller, it can carry less troops. on this ship I had no other option because the dutch navy only operates NH-90's.

also, I especially drew this with the given fact in mind that this ship will operate alone or in small groups most of the time. I don't see the use for an enforcer to these operations, apart from replenishment maybe.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 25th, 2011, 9:19 pm
Royal Navy has been quite effective in using Lynxes with an M3M 12.7mm x99 HMG and AW50F AMR in the anti piracy/narcotics role.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 25th, 2011, 9:22 pm
My idea!

Length: 105 meters
Width: from 20 meters and up to extreme versions of 30 meters!
Draft: up to 5 meters.
Machine: 2 small diesel engine and one jet engine pr. propulsion shaft.
Top speed: from 25 knots to 30 + knots.

armament:

1 * Oto Melara 40mm/70 Fast Forty
or
1 * millennium gun
or
1 * Thales Goalkeeper
or
1 * 20 mm Raytheon Phalanx 1B
and or
1 * Bofors 57mm mk3

7 * 12.7mm HMG (or other)
or
7 * Kongsberg Sea PROTECTOR by 12.7 mm HMG (possibly equipped with 2.75 "rocket)" this is remote controlled "

helicopter:
2 * NH90
Can be equipped with:
MQ-8B Fire Scout
or
Eagle Eye

(note: i did this a bit fast:-/)
[ img ]

My idea is that one or two of them can operate together with a ship as "FS Marjata" refit builds one of those, you will get the helicopter capacity for at least three helicopters, prisons and all the equipment space you need. The bonus you can get out of the "FS Marjata" is that she has that radar, while the bonuses you get out from any Ramform hull boats are very good seaworthiness. quite simply a steady work platform.

http://shipbucket.com/Real%20Designs/No ... jata-2.png

Last edited by heuhen on November 26th, 2011, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 26th, 2011, 10:49 am
One thing I have noticed in both the Holland and the International is a lack of Passive detection equipment like Night vision optics

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 26th, 2011, 11:05 am
Heuhen. it's great! Save as PNG though :)

[Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re:Posted: November 26th, 2011, 11:32 am
rifleman wrote:
One thing I have noticed in both the Holland and the International is a lack of Passive detection equipment like Night vision optics
wrong! In the I-mast the seakeeper system is build in. This system has both infrared and optical sensors.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to โ€œPersonal Designsโ€ | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: