Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Virshia Naval DesignsPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 5:21 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Why do you have both phased arrays and massive trainable torpedo tubes?
acelanceloet wrote:
sorry to say, but I don't. where did you get this lunacy from? they need an good lesson in warship design.
(hope my tone isn't aggravating) because it's from a Japanese video game where the primary design criteria is whether or not it looks anime-influenced enough and whether it looks outrageously cool or not (the Japanese seem to have a particularly weird design aesthetic in their anime/science fiction - and you of all people should know this, Ace :P )
Wikipedia wrote:
Toyetic is a term referring to the suitability of a media property, such as a movie, for merchandising tie-in lines of licensed toys, games and novelties.[1] For example, Saturday morning cartoons in the early 1980s and 1990s were well known for this.[2]

In 1977, Kenner Toys advertising and development executive Bernard Loomis discussed the marketability of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, a film in preproduction by director Steven Spielberg. Loomis told Spielberg that his Close Encounters sounded great, but it wasn't "toyetic." Spielberg conceded and told Loomis to license the Star Wars property, made by his friend George Lucas, instead, which Loomis later did.[3]

Some companies, such as the Sanrio Corporation, specialize in creating toyetic properties such as Hello Kitty and her friends.
I forgot who invented the term exactly but its common-knowledge usage was spread through, of all things, Freakazoid! (yes, the cartoon - which incidentally Steven Spielberg had more than a guiding hand in. From his CEotTK experience described above he's become known for his derision of that term and its emphasis on some film-making)

Avatar is said to be very "toyetic-driven." James Cameron tends to be the opposite of Steven Spielberg when it comes to this attitude ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Raven
Post subject: Re: Virshia Naval DesignsPosted: March 25th, 2013, 4:52 pm
Just wait till he gets to the Druna Skass or Sirfigbor Negla!

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Virshia Naval DesignsPosted: March 26th, 2013, 6:10 pm
I'm aiming to the Dual Crater now,but when i gets to the Druna Skass oh boy it's gonna be Biggan than the H45 for sure!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: