Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Raven
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm
Hokay, you do have to remember during the american missile crazy 50's many vessels were originally designed with no guns whatsoever, so you are right on the mark there. Fortunately, some leaders had the foresight to realize that guns still had a use in the US navy.

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 12th, 2012, 1:22 am
Raven, you hit the head of the nail there! That's why, if this conversion would've been attempted, there would, in all likelihood not have remaind much margin for such Plebeian afterthoughts such as guns...

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 1:16 pm
You would be able to take Springfield's system for the forward system and do a 49B update. Since there would probably be no more systems being built this would be the best source...plus the ship itself would be a good source of other spares for machinery, etc.

Hmm...the Galveston was the single-ender and it had MK 7 launchers like Little Rock and Okie Boat...I am not sure of they were ever converted to use the RIM-8E universal missile used on the Albanys and the Long Beach

what years would you be doing the conversion?

Good point Raven, the Long Beach actually kept its 5/38s even after the conversion, although 2 CIWS were added

Last edited by TimothyC on October 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merging content.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 1:35 pm
Dude use the edit button! :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 1:40 pm
APDAF, you of all people shouldn't be playing back-seat moderator.

Seeker36340, he's right. I am going to edit you down to one post from four shortly.

Don't do this again.

Explanation for what has happened: The content of Seeker36340's (now single) post was spread out over 4 posts. APDAF was complaining about this, and I edited Seeker36340's posts down to just one.

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Sorry, it was not meant to be a back seat mod.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 1:49 pm
I have no friggin' idea what's happened amd what APDAF actually done....and I guess for the best!
Seeker36340: Can you elaborate more on what you're suggesting? - As for years, I usually try to stick it 'in the middle', or in the Okie Boat's case, an era where she might have carried the SPS-2 still (she never did IRL, but with two Talos she might've!)

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 1:52 pm
I was wondering if your conversion was planned from the beginning versus later in Little Rock's lifespan when Talso systems were no longer being built

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 2:25 pm
Ahhh...I understand! I did base my drawing on sketches (not really even plans!) that were drawn around 1956-58, so the conversion (-s) would've been implemented at the very beginning; in fact, the ships would've been commissioned as double-enders; not as single-enders! That was my whole presumption.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Double-ended Conversion of the Talos-armed Little RocksPosted: October 14th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Here's a variant with the addition of two 5" guns, very much along the lines of how they were fitted in the Albany-class. It looks cramped and, in all likelihood would have been, but it is the best solution for such guns:
[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on October 14th, 2012, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: