Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
waritem
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 12:06 pm
Here is my proposal.
It’s in fact my the first ship on the forum (I’ve designed many more but never dare to post them) .
In this AU, the Sak class are scratch built subs build by West Papuan people to strike the Indonesian commercial interest in their island.
They’re almost giant torpedo made of steel tank section.
For security purpose the torpedo tubes are located in the conning tower so the integrity of the hull is not affected. So they are unable to fire on surface and only two torpedoes before being forced to reload, which is a quite long operation.
They got a strange triple drive system. Like their model (torpedo) they got a pneumatic power engine who is filled by the two trucks diesel engines combined with a compressor when surfaced. As an addition they got a short range electric drive when they need to move discretely.
Those very simple ship became great threat for the Indonesian shipping as the Jakarta force always thought the ship were sank by sabotage and never suspected Papuan would be able to handle, even more built, submarines.

[ img ]

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 12:14 pm
waritem wrote:
Sak class
Broken image link.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 12:28 pm
[/img]http://imageshack.us/g/20/sscsakblack.png/[/img]

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 12:34 pm
Still a very dead link.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 1:21 pm
woa. where are your ballast tanks, how's your stability and where are the dive rudders?
and I have doubts those torpedo tubes work, as they are mostly fired from the pressure hull, meaning your 'fin' is pressured as well?
not saying it can't work, but I'd like to know more, as this is completely unlike any other modern sub.

[Profile] [Quote]
waritem
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 2:23 pm
It seems that i’ve hidden the front steering bar…………..
Compressed air is provided by a cartridge at the rear of the tube.
This cartridge is filled by the main compressed air tank used for the drive system.
This tank is located in the middle part of the space between the two tanks sections slipped one inside the other used to create the primitive twin hull. The ballast are located forward and rearward of it in the same space.

[ img ]

Edited by nighthunter: No stupid stuff in my threads.

JE SUIS CHARLIE

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 2:31 pm
My entry nothing too special although it might look a bit dated.

[ img ]

The Chernogorsk class of small SSK's where a major step forward in the development of the Chernarussian Navy as the five ship class was an improvement on the very old whisky class boat that the Chernarussian Navy 'acquired' in the 1970's.

The class have 4 torpedo tubes with three reloads each they where powered by two diesel engines with 800SHP each powering twin props at 18 knots, when the boats where diving ten batteries each with an hour of charge power the vessel at 10 knots for a total of ten hours without needing to use the snorkel which the speed drops to 7.5 knots for safety reasons.

Last edited by APDAF on August 25th, 2012, 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 2:59 pm
APDAF, good start. It looks a little underdetailed though. Maybe add some panel lines to the hull. You could also go wthout the bottom torpedo tube, which would give you more room for your sonar. That would be a big plus as this looks to be more in SSK territory than SSC. You should also probably increase the size of the control surfaces (rudder & diveplanes), and either remove the side ballast tank, or add more shading to it.
It's a good start, it looks like a mini Foxtrot, Romeo, or Type 033G.
*Edit*
The Heroj and the Sava are also good places to look.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
APDAF
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Better?

I did look at them first Raxar. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: SSC/SSK Design ChallengePosted: August 24th, 2012, 3:36 pm
Better, but the diveplanes are still a bit small (ie. make them longer). You could also do with a better looking prop. You could also move the lower torp tube up a bit, which would make more room for the sonar. You could also throw some details onto the sail. Maybe a hull number, a panel line or 2, add another porthole on the bridge, or put some running lights (the little green things) on there. I also question the need for such large doors on the torp tubes. (bigger doors=more noise when opening=not as stealthy)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 9  [ 81 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: