Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 14th, 2012, 9:00 pm
An unmanned Warship along the lines of the LCS, slightly larger or smaller, I need suggestions mostly on what systems would not be present with lack of a crew, and with the concepts of "stealth"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 14th, 2012, 9:06 pm
Littoral combat ship ... without crew. Not in this time lad, maybe in some future. But if ... if there will be no crew that kind of ship will be a lot smaller, even 50% or more. You cut all crew quarters, bridge ... ect: just take off everything crew need.

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 14th, 2012, 9:11 pm
alright

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 14th, 2012, 11:06 pm
well....
one factor is the main reason we still have crew: damage control and maintenance. we can let an computer use the weapons, sail the ship, and control the systems, but humans are the only ones that currently can react onto stuff unexpected braking down or weapon hits.

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 15th, 2012, 12:26 am
yes, that is the biggest problem confronting this type of, well I think we should name it

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 15th, 2012, 5:20 am
won't work, especially not the VLS. keep in mind btw, that you still need the ship to be 'accesible' for humans, even if only for construction and dockyard turns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 15th, 2012, 6:24 am
theres also nowhere for a propulsion system really and no intakes/uptakes

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 15th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Theoretically, a completely unmanned LCS is superior to the current undermanned LCS because an undermanned LCS paradoxically puts more lives in danger. A properly manned ship is able to defend itself better, patch itself up better and - here's the really important thing - medically tend to its crew better.

Of course a completely unmanned ship, even if not as combat-effective, puts zero crew in danger by definition. You make up for whatever combat deficiency the vessel has through numbers, which means ideally it should be cheap. Of course, it's a matter of debate as to whether or not putting lives at risk runs into a cost-benefit wall, but I personally think putting the fewest lives at risk is always the best (otherwise why do we put so much emphasis on survivability in the first place?)

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 15th, 2012, 8:47 pm
there are infact intakes if you look carefully one can see them on the bulge of the secondary hulls, and I know the hull is not deep enough for VLS, it was really to see what the overall aesthetic would be, and I'm going got get to mending this one for your specifications

[Profile] [Quote]
Razgriz BSG-27
Post subject: Re: Fleshing out an Unmanned Warship conceptPosted: August 15th, 2012, 8:51 pm
On the repair and maintenance subject, have you ever heard of the self repairing space shuttle concepts?, anyway I was thinking along the lines of UAVs, at sea totally human controlled , save for in this case repair systems, the fleets would consist of totally unmanned ships, an Command ship, and A carrier/tender that would be able to have humans repair damage the on-board systems couldn't handle.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: