Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 26th, 2011, 4:06 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
Heuhen. it's great! Save as PNG though :)
did I. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9W6YPih ... re=related

fixed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: AAE - Experimental Patrol Vessel AlphaPosted: November 26th, 2011, 11:42 pm
My contribution. The helos are civilian registered belonging to my private security company that I rarely write anything about because I'm busy with Atlantia...

[ img ]

She's armed with a BK-27 forward in an Oto Melara Marlin. Moving back there are assorted machine guns M3Ms are shown but they could equally be GAU-19s, M134s GPMGs etc. Moving further back there is a pedestal launcher for a variety of munitions, Hellfire is shown but seeing as Atlantia operates SPIKE they'd most likely be used. Again up to the end use what they fit on them. Below the launcher is the helicopter hangar which is large enough to hold two Huey sized helicopters with ample room to complete maintenance without having to move one outside. aft of that is the helipad which is strong enough to take anything up-to an S-92 sized helicopter. Under the helipad are a pair of remote weapon stations able to be fitted with the same weapons that are crew served further forward. Finally at the stern there is space for a number of small boats, I've got two quite substantial RHIBs shown, recovery and launching is done up a ramp whilst semi submerged.
XPV-A has a crew of around 35 plus 20 for the air assets and two 8 man SOF teams. There is room on board for a further 12 personnel for medium duration visits as well as detention facilities, max speed of around 20 knots and endurance for around 60 days.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rusel
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 6:22 am
I'd love to see that in Australian Customs Service colours, as in the Oceanic Viking.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 7:00 am
Lazer_one wrote:
[ img ]
Is nobody recognizing this private anti-pirate vessel owned by Blackwaters?!

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 7:55 am
She's former NOAAS McArthur.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 12:20 pm
She is too slow to keep up with anything but the slowest convoys.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Thiel wrote:
She is too slow to keep up with anything but the slowest convoys.
And even then you're generally not going to be running with the shipping, but doing patrol loops. If the situation is bad enough for convoys and all of the losses that come with them the situation is bad enough for a live-fire naval artillery exercise.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 6:01 pm
That's how it's done now though. The AoO is much too big to cover with the resources available right now.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Thiel wrote:
That's how it's done now though. The AoO is much too big to cover with the resources available right now.
Huh. I wasn't aware they had stared convoys. I stand corrected.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Anti-Piracy VesselsPosted: November 27th, 2011, 7:24 pm
The entire idea of a single-ship setup doesn't seem 'right' here.
We are not dealing with that kind of operation; this is not an enemy that needs destroying (though they do need killing)... it is a 'prosecute to drive off' rather than a 'prosecute to kill' situation. A single ship designed to respond to threats doesn't seem as efficient as a 'system' that would prevent the threats from arising.

Vessel #1.- Reaction Boat: this vessel would be just large enough to comfortably 'at speed' in average wave height sea conditions. It would be armed with several fast-firing weapons ranging from 25mm to 5.56mm and serve as an interceptor boat. They could be built cheaply and in sufficient numbers to cover the AO. They would- by nature of their design- be a short-range vessel, and necessitate tending by Vessel #2 or Vessel #3. Good designs exist already and can be produced fairly cheaply if their advanced electronics are skimped on.

Vessel #2.- The Lone Ranger: This ship would be somewhat larger, and would be similar to LazerOne's suggested vessel. It would not be extremely fast, but rather capable of long patrols and of carrying at least two small or one medium helo for conducting local flight ops. These vessels would also carry at least one set of refueling gear for Vessel #1. They would also carry spacious freezers so Vessel #1 can come alongside for 'ice cream'* occasionally... because 'ice cream' is an important motivator- ask any pilot shot down in the Pacific. These vessels could be converted from existing ships initially.

Vessel #3- The Mothership: These ships already exist- they are painted gray and go by such technical-sounding names as 'Landing Ship, Dock' and 'Landing Ship, Helicopter, Dock.' They would serve as the base of operations for the system, in addition to serving as a floating hotel for rotating crews for Vessel #1 and a refueling/rearming point for Vessels #1 and #2. Depending on the design of Vessel #1, they might even be able to carry out some yard-level maintenance tasks (if the hull will fit into the docking bay). They would have assault capabilities for retaking ships, and even (if possible) raiding on-shore pirate bases.

We can't build enough 'perfect' ships here- this is not total war and we can't flood the seas with designs like what are being thrown about: basically developing a United Nations Coast Guard, or even United Nations Navy.

*Not 'ice cream' literally- just some luxury item that the small boat can't carry enough of, to be doled out as a reward.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: