Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 27th, 2011, 7:24 pm
I'll be darned. Well, naval terminology has TBD as what I defined it. Yours I've not seen...

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 27th, 2011, 8:46 pm
heuhen
Extremely nice little ship. One thing about your last mod. of the armament is, the single 4" XIX mountings are not AA but low angle only. In fact the standard single 4" AA gun was the Mk. V (some ships had Mk. IV). The twin 4" Mk.XIV mounting used the Mk. XIX gun. Most Mk.XIX guns in single mountings were low angle only, and were intended to fight submarines on the surface.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 27th, 2011, 8:57 pm
Novice wrote:
heuhen
Extremely nice little ship. One thing about your last mod. of the armament is, the single 4" XIX mountings are not AA but low angle only. In fact the standard single 4" AA gun was the Mk. V (some ships had Mk. IV). The twin 4" Mk.XIV mounting used the Mk. XIX gun. Most Mk.XIX guns in single mountings were low angle only, and were intended to fight submarines on the surface.
Ah! so I should use the 4" Mk V or IV

[Profile] [Quote]
KillerGuppi
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 28th, 2011, 3:51 pm
So far i like the design of this ship, and since it is supposed to be a modern coastal defence ship, you could have a look at the swedish HMS Manligheten..

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 28th, 2011, 4:16 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
I'll be darned. Well, naval terminology has TBD as what I defined it. Yours I've not seen...
Perhaps it is because the vessel you are thinking about is a TBD (torpedo boat destroyer), and the TDB (torpedo defense bulkhead) is what is installed on the ship to protect against torpedoes. ;) Just a case of an acronym getting misspelled.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 28th, 2011, 6:59 pm
KillerGuppi wrote:
So far i like the design of this ship, and since it is supposed to be a modern coastal defence ship, you could have a look at the swedish HMS Manligheten..
My coastal defense ships are designed to operate on the Norwegian coast and not up in the Baltic Sea, which means I need a notch better seakeeping safety Manligheten have, with the luminaire she has a small hull I believe that she will be uneasy in bad sea.

Also: top heavy

But she has some lines that are interesting, but I'm drawing a Norwegian coast coastal defense ships that could have been coast at Horten Naval Shipyard. Her size is limited to the size of the shipyard's dock. I would later draw a version where the contract is awarded to one of the large private shipyards along the coast.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 28th, 2011, 8:05 pm
two versions:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 28th, 2011, 9:26 pm
I'm not sure if the 5.25" guns will work out in that small a space, although the 4.7" guns do look very dashing there.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: October 28th, 2011, 11:23 pm
SrGopher wrote:
snip... 4.7" guns do look very dashing there.
These 4.7" mountings are only 50 degrees elevation, and so are not realy good for AA fire.
I like the V.2 of your ship heuhen.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Norway coastal defence shipPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 5:56 pm
I suppose I'm just a tad confused here, but if I understand the typical mission of a CDS, it's to cover a minefield in support of a shore fort/batteries. I question if your draft is a tad deep for that? The design seems to have more of the sort of draft intended for seagoing vessels, than what I'd commonly assume that a CDS would have for that role; what she looks like, by all accounts, is almost a Predreadnought design.

That said, she's truely a lovely vessel.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 54 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: