Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 5:39 pm
It's fine for this one since you're literally drawing the ship from the game. Generally speaking the WOWS models are excellent, though I've caught a few errors (but given the fact that the devs are having to make many hundreds of different models it's impressive that it's even accurate at all...)

I don't think this ship would have a 36" searchlight mounted that high above the bridge. It's too big and heavy for that spot. Maybe a 24" searchlight would fit but I'd move it down to wings just aft of the Mk.35 director above the pilot house. Why is there a 12' rangefinder mounted there?

You have what looks like a K-gun depth charge projector mounted on the little platform between the torpedo tubes. The game shows a Mk.27 torpedo director in that spot.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 5:51 pm
In Shipbucket the aim is to draw as accurate depiction as possible, do you need "to look at old drawings and black-and-white photos as reference", spending the time to make out tiny details is a means to an end.

Regards

Tempest.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Colosseum wrote:
It's fine for this one since you're literally drawing the ship from the game. Generally speaking the WOWS models are excellent, though I've caught a few errors (but given the fact that the devs are having to make many hundreds of different models it's impressive that it's even accurate at all...)

I don't think this ship would have a 36" searchlight mounted that high above the bridge. It's too big and heavy for that spot. Maybe a 24" searchlight would fit but I'd move it down to wings just aft of the Mk.35 director above the pilot house. Why is there a 12' rangefinder mounted there?

You have what looks like a K-gun depth charge projector mounted on the little platform between the torpedo tubes. The game shows a Mk.27 torpedo director in that spot.
The main reason why some of the ships in game look different is too make them more balanced against other ships. In real life there were many situations where the ships from one side outclassed the other.

Also I just took the depth charge racks from the US part sheet. I couldn't play WoWS at the time so I couldn't examine the model closer.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 6:23 pm
@Keisser "For example, arm King George V with 381-mm cannons and cut it's belt a some to make it a battlecruiser and smth like that... That would be wonderful."
You mean Design 15C of late 1935? See http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... g+george+V

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 6:37 pm
smurf wrote:
@Keisser "For example, arm King George V with 381-mm cannons and cut it's belt a some to make it a battlecruiser and smth like that... That would be wonderful."
You mean Design 15C of late 1935? See http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... g+george+V
Yeah, smth like that. Also in wonderful Hearts of Iron IV there is a battlecruiser class "Princess Royal" that is actually a KGV with thinner armor and 3x3 381 mm armament.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 9:39 pm
Well Keisser and Tristan Alting, I had a lot of fun drawing those King George V what ifs. I did peer at lots of little black and white drawings for details and while that was a pain in the ass the end result was great.

Having Smurf to hold my hand through the various stages was a great help. Some of the guys in Shipbucket have absolutely excellent resources and if you can get those guys onside when you are doing your drawings. Your drawings will look ten times better than they do now.

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 10:09 pm
Not to harp on the subject too much, but consider things this way: the good people doing the WoWS models have had to peer intently at smudgy old drawings to get these models done. As long as you use their work to draw the ships they have represented, you're keeping one step removed from the original. You know already that the game models have been tweaked to enhance balance. Without first-hand input from the dev team or upstream sources, you can't figure out what the modifications look like.
So feel free to use the in-game models to draft never-built ships and flex your drawing muscles, but don't expect to make a quality drawing of a real ship without more direct references. This goes for SB-style drawings as well as for any documentation work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 10:18 pm
I'm also very, very curious how you expect to "use this drawing" to draw the real life Farragut and Mahan classes.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 10:26 pm
all about the way of creation aside, I know of no real life proposals for any Nicholas Class ships, is this an personal design by the creators of WoWs or an artist impression of what the makers of WoWs think some real proposal looks like? in both ways, I do consider this an ship that belongs in the personal designs section. only if the ship accurately follows an real reference, I could consider this to be an never build design.......... or am I being silly here?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US Nicholas-Class DestroyerPosted: July 18th, 2016, 11:49 pm
I think it is based on these:
http://i.imgur.com/sINB6YB.jpg
https://ptdockyardat.files.wordpress.co ... yer002.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 6  [ 53 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: