Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
heuhen
Post subject: CorvettePosted: June 15th, 2016, 12:26 pm
Before I go to work.

I have done a bit overkill on the equipment... little to much, so come with it.

My original idea was: What if Norway went for a vessel similar in size of the Oslo class, but as an large corvette/small frigate, basicly get one more vessel for the money. (submarines loves surface ships, but hate helicopters)

power supply... do it similar to the skjold class... but on a bigger scale.

(hope the link work)
[ img ]

While I am on work.... comment like you have rabies!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 15th, 2016, 2:20 pm
Questions that I have:
- 1 or 2, 8 cell VLS
- should the ship be smaller or bigger.
- should it carry a lighter ASW helicopter (although similar equipment trough the navy is smart)

The Norwegian government have stated that Norway would be an attractive support unit. Whit excellent officers, specialized units and access to advance tech.

Norway have also a huge coastline with insane weather. And a massive commercial fleet to support... When needed.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 15th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Nice start, I'd say. Can't remember if you've selected NH90 for your next ASW/AsuW copter? If it is, do you really need hangar for that? I mean if you go for "international" missions, Nansen-class would do the job :)
Fast it should be; waterjets perhaps? When you've 76mm in your Skjold-class, why not to have in here? Perhaps it means extra CIWS, but you could have room for it if you'll skip the hangar. And, of course; you'll need some build-in ASW capability... I think VLS would be needed for selfdefence. Depending on how much you'll have money. Oil is decreasing. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 15th, 2016, 8:01 pm
Corvettes are not multi-mission ships. Frankly, seen Standard-ER and a heavy helo on the same hull just doesn't even make a lick of sense.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 16th, 2016, 1:05 am
I read, I listen... and to now I have only did some off the changes

Some changes:
- changed the Forward STIR 240 to STIR 180 (It was looking overkill to have STIR 240 on this ship)
- Helicopter hangar, lowered and changed to an cargo deck (Stan-flex?), With ability to hold small helicopter if absolutely needed.
- 57mm changed to 76mm since that is what the RNoN use on there "war"-ships (Coast guard use 40mm and 57mm)
- Standard-ER removed, but there is space for Standard-ER without booster. (changing from full length VLS, to an shortened VLS)
- CIWS are at the moment the "Millennium gun" but since Norwegian frigates are supposed to have 40mm+... (overkill, for an small ship)

[ img ]

Norway have an very long coastline and I find it weird that Norway have no ship that can do, delivery in an hot-zone. We do have the entire merchant fleet that are by Norwegian law, supposed to support the Norwegian military "if war", but the can't go into an hot combat zone. so a ship big enough to deliver equipment to specialized units, and have the firepower to deliver damage on land and sea, but at the same time small enough to get around on the Norwegian coast line.

BTW, Kongsberg have upgraded the Naval Strike missile. So it can also be used as an Cruise missile, attacking object on land.

Okay now, let us kick some balls!

[Profile] [Quote]
r3mu511
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 16th, 2016, 7:26 am
^based on the thales brochure for stir-18 (aka. stir-ik-mk2, 1.8m diameter antenna), it is rated for an instrumented range of 120 km and is advertised for use w/ essm... sm-2-blk3 (ie. present day sm-2-mr) engagement envelope is ~167 km (per: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_displ ... =1200&ct=2) w/c exceeds the stir-18 capability... so if you're going to add in sm2-blk3 you'll need to go back to stir-24... or just stick w/ essm and drop from stir-18 to stir-12 (since the smallest stir is rated to handle the essm envelope already)...

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 16th, 2016, 10:09 am
r3mu511 wrote:
^based on the thales brochure for stir-18 (aka. stir-ik-mk2, 1.8m diameter antenna), it is rated for an instrumented range of 120 km and is advertised for use w/ essm... sm-2-blk3 (ie. present day sm-2-mr) engagement envelope is ~167 km (per: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_displ ... =1200&ct=2) w/c exceeds the stir-18 capability... so if you're going to add in sm2-blk3 you'll need to go back to stir-24... or just stick w/ essm and drop from stir-18 to stir-12 (since the smallest stir is rated to handle the essm envelope already)...

Thanks for the info.

Hm! she isn't going to carry Standard-ER, but she have the VLS to do so. But if I remember the RNoN doctrine correct, a frigate will cover other vessels, by using other vessels radars and illuminators, through the "Link 16 and Link 11" communication system.

so with that said, I'll go back to stir-240 in a forward location.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 16th, 2016, 11:51 am
4 variants, 4 different task/mission.

Ship:

1. Blank ship with some equipment.
2. Sort of flex deck.
3. flex deck, small helicopter capable.
4. just a weapon platform, with all necessary internal space.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
r3mu511
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 16th, 2016, 12:04 pm
^just wondering, but does your corvette really need the ~370 km range of sm-2-ER (aka. sm-2-blk-4) ?

isn't the ~167 km range of sm-2-MR (aka. sm-2-blk-3) enough for the aaw config version ?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CorvettePosted: June 17th, 2016, 12:36 am
r3mu511 wrote:
^just wondering, but does your corvette really need the ~370 km range of sm-2-ER (aka. sm-2-blk-4) ?

isn't the ~167 km range of sm-2-MR (aka. sm-2-blk-3) enough for the aaw config version ?
The range isn't the most important thing for the missiles fired from the corvette, but by Norwegian doctrine, it is expected that Skjold class would work as an extended sensor and weapon guidance platform for the Frigates, trough Link 11 and link 16 communication system (Network warfare). (basicly the Skjold class detect and paint the target, for then sending firing order to the Frigates Weapon systems...) I expect the corvette would do the same, but with a stronger sensor platform than what Skjold class have and a tad stronger all around weapon systems... but with commons systems.

That is the Idea.

(But my original idea for the corvette, was: "what if Norway bought corvette instead of frigate" what do/can they get).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 35 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: