Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 11th, 2014, 9:58 pm
Sorry :cry: if you took my comment the wrong way, I like your drawing and the idea (I was just questioning its likelihood of happening but that's just opinion so I will shut up :( )

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 11th, 2014, 11:22 pm
Bombhead
That is exactly what is required to be done for the NW/RL designs. You are following an exact template of an existing or designed ship. There is no imagination you can use on those drawings. The amount of detail added to the ship by the use of photos and line drawings does not change the fact that you are still drawing by numbers. Number one part must go where number one part is to appear on your drawing. You have no license to make it different. The most comments drawn in RL/NW forums is when a drawing is slightly off or a wrong part is used. Because there is so much detail available through photos of the more modern ships these have to be exactly drawn. Those same photos allow for incredible detail. But it is still drawing by numbers. That is not a bad thing. Look at how much detail and time Colo has put into his Alaskas, they are excellent drawings, but he has still drawn by numbers.

But while discussing this - lets have a look at how the different level of artists are held in SB. Those who draw RL/NW are cosseted and hardly have a bad word spoken to them. As much as possible they are looked after and brought on if possible. Give them feedback that may cause them to leave and what happens. The 'Rule'. Unfortunately the same can not be said for how people who create 'kitbashes' - on those people it is open season with silly/stupid/denigrating comments, if a 'kitbasher' leaves, no problem, no loss.

I make a comment amount 'paint by numbers' and what happens? I get a 'please explain'.

Tell me, anyone, the last time you made a comment that you got wrong, did you apologise for your mistake?

(Thank you JSB apology accepted - I was composing this and had not seen your comment)

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 11th, 2014, 11:39 pm
I'm pleased you clarified that point cos I didn't want to go off halfed cocked.
The whole mission statement of this community of ours is to provide good accurate drawings of real life ships IE the RL archive. Every thing else is nice to have but but secondary. Whilst I admit I think your kitbashes are well done they are still kitbashes of real artists work. These members have spent litterally months of work doing the reaserch, gathering material, and then to actually do all the hard work pixel bashing for you to come along and use our work and then have the cheek to label us colour by numbers merchant's.
Without our work to base your drawings you would have to draw your own anyway so here's a little challenge for you if you choose to accept ?
Pick a drawing of any WW2 Cruiser and draw it from scatch then post it here.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 12th, 2014, 12:37 am
Bombhead - that is a challenge I would fail, and I know it, and have said so in my other drawings (although I do have to draw and design most of the hulls and parts for the top down views as they are not available to cut and paste). We (kitbashers) may be second class citizens but we deserve better treatment. SB is an elitist entity. You have just pointed that out. It shows in that no one who has not done RL/NW drawings will ever make one of the upper levels in the forum. I can live with that. And yes I am very grateful to ALL of the people who do drawings that allow me to use my imagination to cut and paste the drawings together that I do. That includes other kitbashers who allow me to use their drawings and parts as well as the "colour by numbers merchant's" (your words not mine). You may not like the label, but if that is what you do, why do you dislike the label. How does it feel to have the shoe on the other foot and have to be defensive of what you do? You are a pixel artist, that because of the subjects you choose to do, are limited to exact re-creation of those subjects. That you create excellent works of pixel art is not at issue. One thing I would note is that there are some good artists that started out doing kitbashes and graduated to RL/NW when they felt confident to do so.

On a personal note as to why I do kitbashes in preference to RL/NW, it is because I have shaky hands due to injury (nerve damage) and have trouble controlling the mouse to do the fine work necessary for the RL/NW drawings. The top down views are not as precise as I would like them and they do not have the detail I would like either (see Maomatics Bismarck drawings for an example of an excellent top down view) but I do as much as I can to give a balanced view. Many times a side view has looked good till I try to do the top view and its "Oh well, back to the drawing boards".

When I first started with SB creations I tried to do a NW Reina Victoria Eugenia as it was something that hadn't been done. It was not good and ended up in the Recycle Bin. I also did an Argus but when I compare that now to the Argus in the archives, I wouldn't show it to my best friend.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 12th, 2014, 1:09 pm
There is no first and seccond class citizens in shipbucket (despite the colours), all members are equal and all members are responsible of the enviroment of the sosiety. Wheter you are a aknowlidged RL shipdrawer, beginer, kitbasher, Alternativist or just random poster how likes to follow the forum you are all binded by the rules and under those rules free to express yourselves and be part of the Shipbucket community.

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 12th, 2014, 1:20 pm
Krakatoa, I find your cruiser to be a class act, both in design and illustration. I was always a fan of the light battlecruiser concept and I've drawn a few of my own. Keep up the nice work.

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 12th, 2014, 3:48 pm
I agree with BCRenown, I love seeing these small battlecruiser/large cruiser designs pop up on the forum and yours is an excellent example :)

One thing that keeps catching my eye though is the area around the first funnel - below the 2pdr mount and above the row of life rafts - where it looks like one of those optical illusions with joins that look right from one angle but can't physically join up. I was going to try and describe it but I thought it would be easier to show you what area:
[ img ]
By removing the overhang and line of shading above the rafts it should look better, though it's obviously your choice to change or not :)

Once again though it's a great drawing and fascinating concept, and I'm glad you could find use for one of my drawings.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 12th, 2014, 6:47 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Miloshik you have ever only seen one person use the weapons shown - me. The parts on the RN part sheet I use where applicable, the 2pdr quad and octuple, on the RN sheet, look virtually the same which is not correct. There is quite a difference in size between the two mountings. The ammunition feeders on the quad are offset, not on the SB drawing. Why has the drawing stuck with two pixel barrel width? The 40mm weapons below the 2pdr in the RN sheet look closer to real with the one pixel barrels (except the Hazemeyer). Even with the extra cooling jacket the 2pdr is under 6" wide and could use 1 pixel. Same with the 20mm, when I started using SB parts some years ago the 20mm was a stick figure. I didn't like it so drew my own.

Just because the parts on the RN part sheet are there does not make them good. If I do not like something I will draw and use my own parts in preference. If you do not like that - too bad.
You've got a good point, and a good explanation.

And I apologise if I come across badly here but...

If you think some RN parts are bad do something about it.

Take the pom pom: You've obviously got clear ideas about what's wrong with those parts. So why not improve them? Make a new version, and post it in the RN parts thread for debate.

I mean, look at me. I started this whole thing way back on the Warships1 boards, but I seriously doubt my ability to draw ships to the current standards. But I can still find a thrill in drawing better parts, and that's what I mainly do nowadays. You don't have to draw whole ships. If you think you can make better real life parts, please do so. Because if you do, everybody profits.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 12th, 2014, 6:51 pm
you are joking, right miho?
not to current standard? look at the LCF, that was once one of the best drawings on the bucket, and it is still only behind on maybe a bit of hull shading or something like that, which is purely optional.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Alternate CA - HMS Shannon (CA-1931)Posted: August 12th, 2014, 7:21 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
you are joking, right miho?
not to current standard? look at the LCF, that was once one of the best drawings on the bucket, and it is still only behind on maybe a bit of hull shading or something like that, which is purely optional.
I am confident in slowly upgrading a few of my existing drawings. I dread having ever to do a new one.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: