Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1221 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 20th, 2010, 10:32 am
[ img ]

Some very minor refinements....

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 20th, 2010, 11:55 am
[ img ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By the late 1930s, Pallamara had begun modernization of their submarine arm, with the chosen design being a derivative of the Dutch O-21 Klasse of submarine. Pallamaran boats differed in one main respect, however--they followed the RN practice of eliminating the broad deck casings common on American, German, and Italian boats, which placed the guns in the conning tower as the resulting deck was too narrow for them. As a result of this, Pallamaran submarines generally had faster dive times than their Allied counterparts.

During the war, several boats were modified by removing all except the bare essentials needed for the conning tower in order to achieve still faster dive times.

Starting the conflict with no less than nine of these boats, more were constructed during the war, for it would be the Onderzeeboot arm that would play the greatest role in the war, with Japanese oil shipments from the occupied NEI being the preferred prey. Never able to build enough boats on its own, several allied boats were given over the Pallamarans to help keep up the tempo of operations. During the war, the Pallamaran subs became noted for their efficiency and aggressiveness. Casaulties were high in this arm, albeit slightly lower than the allied average, but morale was always excellent, and the service was considered an elite branch, a tradition which carries over to this day.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 20th, 2010, 12:17 pm
During the war, some vessels used a modified Snorkel system pioneered by the Dutch, with whom the Pallamarans worked closely, both before and during the conflict. Though the system was improved during service to the point that by the end of the war it was standard equipment on nearly all boats, it never reached the refinement of the German version, being considered a useful tool, but not a major operational advance.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 24th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Attachment:
ADU)21.png
AU version for ADU, perhaps something for you too!

[Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 25th, 2010, 2:42 am
Very nicely detailed--Thanks! I'll get to work on it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 26th, 2010, 4:53 pm
[ img ]

Since the design seems actually viable, I decided to post it here. Background will follow later.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 26th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Now you don't have space for the cazemath guns... to the last design

[Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 26th, 2010, 7:48 pm
I should have plenty of space. The hull is 90 feet wide, with the casemates on the side, and the turrets close to the superstructure in the center in the middle. From side view, this isn't evident, however. The Springsharp of the initial design is in the Personal Design forum.

Regards hull strength, the design has been rebulged in both rebuilds to allow for the extra weight of the rebuilds.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 26th, 2010, 7:50 pm
Okay

[Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Grand Duchy of PallamaraPosted: November 26th, 2010, 8:45 pm
I think the propellers are too small for this ship, and I don't think Sprigsharp adress this.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 21  [ 206 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1221 »

Jump to: