Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 12  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 11 12 »
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 1st, 2012, 7:40 pm
I'm not using etendards. Those are just there for scaling purposes. I'm using a fighter of my design, an AWACS based on the E-2 and my design helicopter.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 3:11 am
Ok. First post of the new carrier. First one was launched in 1995, and the second in 1998. They are both going to be conventional, although I would like to look into nuclear propulsion.
The specs I have so far:
Length WL: 750ft
Length OA: 818.5ft
Beam: 110ft
Bean OA: 230ft
Draught: 30ft
[ img ]
I know there aren't any shafts. I haven't found one to put one yet. Same goes for the bridge. I'm not sure if I should make it stealth like, or just a "block."
I'm just looking to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 6:14 pm
Ok. No replies on anything I've come out with. I'll just keep working on them when I get a chance.

How about I throw a liitle bit of history at y'all?

The USD got it's independence from INSERT in 1953. The economy was booming at the time but they had ho armed forces. They quickly set up a National Guard Base in every city-state and surprisingly many people signed up, creating a sizeable Guard. Meanwhile, an Atlanta based manufacturer, Atlanta Auto Corp. started to take over abandoned military bases and shipyards left by the INSERTS. With the newly established government not wanting to cause any susicion by buying military vehicles from other nations, they turned to AAC for designing, manufacturing and testing of new military vehicles. Soon after AAC grew due to the amount of government contracts. The government already had a Nat. Guard, so they created a Coast Guard in the summer of 1968. After acquiring ex-INSERT cutters, they soon realized they were far too big for the USD Archipelago. In 1971 Atlanta Marine Corp., a new division of AAC, started production of 5 new Challenger Frigates, along with various patrol craft. In 1983, 30 years after they got their independence, the government put into action the creation of an Army and it's branches, the Army Air Force, the Army Rangers, and the Army Special Operations. In 1987 rebels of the island nation of 2ND INSERT, an ally of USD, revolted against it's government. USD launched a military campaign to help restore order, and were successful. In 1990 the government finally created another military division, the Navy and it's branch, the Marines. In 1993 AMC launched the Navy's first frigate, the McKinney Class FFG-001 Charles Denton (named after the guy who found the island system).

That's what I have so far.
Also, I haven't decided on who we get our independence from, so that's why I have "INSERT" in the story.
If any of you have ideas, please share them. I was thinking the British... Not sure though...

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Well, for one thing, the length to beam ration is really far off. The ship is either too short or too wide. You also haven't outlined any area for the propulsion gear. But, I do like your aircraft. Especially that fighter design that you have.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 8:17 pm
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... Paul-2.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 8:31 pm
The fighter looks kinda oddly proportioned, almost box like. Possibly shorten the rear fuselage on the what I am assuming is an attack aircraft as of now it looks like it'd hit the deck on landing...

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Thanks for the replies.
SrGopher, I realize the carrier is "short." I didnt want to have a 1000 foot long behemoth. And on a note, the Charles De Gaulle is only 858 feet long with an overall width of 211 feet. While my carrier is 230 feet wide, the runway overhang is really the only contributing factor, so it isn't too off balanced.
And thank you for the comment about my aircraft. The fighter is like an English Electric Lightning, but with a F-16 cockpit. I chose the engine over engine design to minimize the width of the aircraft while on the carrier. The AWACS is essentially an E-2 with jet engines.

ace, thank you. Ive been looking for that, but why did you post it? Can you give me an explanation?

BlackBuck, like I said before, the fighter is based on the EE Lightning, to reduce footprint. The "attack plane" is based on the Tupolev Tu-91 Boot. It is used for bombing, and attack. Since there is a bomb bay in the center of the aircraft, the turboprop is at the tailsection, so tright now I feel I have the perfect balance of the engine and the cockpit.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 9:03 pm
it gives you direction for most points that need work. I have no time to explain now, but think of the parking space, catapult lenghts, hull shape, dimensions, elevator sizes, runway angle..... of course, you can do different. I choose an entirely different setup for all parts noted above on my camelot class. but the nimitz seems the closest to yours in setup, and it is an proven design. I can say by experience now that even the real shipbuilding industry looks at what others build. steal ideas, shapes and even parts from other ships. if it works, why do it different? if it does not, where do I find an working idea? that is how they work in reality, and that is what you should do too.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Ok. I thought that's what you were getting at. Thanks for the clarification.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Republic of the United States of DentonPosted: February 6th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Considering the time frame you've laid down neither are really decent choices any more.

With regards to the Lightning derived thing, reduce footprint how exactly? If it's anything like the lightning (which is most definitely does not look like) then it wont have the legs to go anywhere without tanks (Under/Over-wing and belly tanks). Payload is marginal at best with contemporary designs. The intake design you've got on at the moment looks like a side by side arrangement of which I'm not sure how is going to work...

With regards to the Tu-91 again payload is marginal, turboprop front line combat aircraft aren't really suited to modern warfare. You don't necessarily need a bomb bay to bomb things, hell you're more limited by what you can carry in it than under wings. The prop is mahoosive and will have clearance issues with the deck and my point about the tail hitting the deck still stands.

Not wanting to put a downer on the aircraft or anything but for a late 20th/early 21st century they just wont work in any good capacity.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 12  [ 114 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: