Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1121 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 2:20 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of why are they trimarans? And that crane isn't even close to being enough. You should study the launching arrangements found on the many different amphibs built during the war

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 2:49 pm
Thiel wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of why are they trimarans? And that crane isn't even close to being enough. You should study the launching arrangements found on the many different amphibs built during the war
[ img ]

Made the crane larger.

And also I guess trimarans would be much lighter and therefor faster? Also the captains get to decide what type of landing craft they want attached to the sides of their ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 4:04 pm
Look at the APD conversions undertaken during the war for examples. I don't think "captains would get to choose what kind of boats they want attached to the side of their ship" is really how amphib warfare works, but it's your AU.

Realistically you'd end up with some sort of easily-producible LCVP (similar to the Higgins boats or whatever they were, amphib stuff makes no sense to me) that gets issued fleet-wide. Presumably this country is allied to the USA so it would likely just end up being American-produced LCVPs.

The whole trimaran concept is stupid frankly and if I were you I would drop it.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 5:14 pm
Torpedo tubes on an APD. Okayyyyyy...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 6:21 pm
trimarans actually are heavier for the same payload, and depending on what the weight of the cargo is relatively to the size, possibly slower as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 6:59 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 7:05 pm
Colo noted a couple of days ago that Antara had lost nearly all of her ships during World War two, and even claiming that they were possibly incompetent. I was reading over the Republic of Koko AU by BB1987 yesterday and I saw that they were allied with Japan. One reason why Antara suffered so many losses could be because they had to fight the combined navies of both Japan and Koko.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 6th, 2016, 3:41 am
Take a good hard look at your crane arrangement and tell me if you think it's sufficient. I'll reccommend you draw a basic top-view as well just to see how it works out.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 6th, 2016, 7:05 am
What must I do to fix the crane?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 6th, 2016, 8:04 am
Try drawing a topview and all will become obvious. I know I'm being annoying and possibly obtuse but since you've mastered the basic drawing style the only way to get better from here is to understand the designs. Study the historical designs as well, but don't just copy them blindly.
The best AU designs are made by members who've spend the time to understand the individual components of the ships as well as how they go together

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1121 »

Jump to: