Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1168 »
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 12:44 am
emperor_andreas wrote:
Is this going to be all the way to the present day, or is there a specific year you plan on stopping at?

-Matt
I was just about to get to that. I plan to take it all the way to the present day. After 1905, I'm going to include updates for all the Armed Services - Army, Navy (+Marines), and the Air Force (starting 1920). I'll use SB scale for ships and aircraft that ships carry, FD scale for Army vehicles, equipment, and land-based Air Force aircraft.

It's taken me the better part of a real year to get through the sixty AU years I've posted.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 3:48 am
Quote:
That's the most I can squeeze out of her dimensions realistically. Faster would mean bigger, which means more expensive. Much also depends on whether you are using reciprocating engines or turbines. Here's the Springsharp numbers for the Leon Class:
But for the light cruisers, speed is the main parameter. Slow light cruiser, it is just as questionable thing as unarmoured battleship (yes, I know about the "Lepanto" class. Exceptions prove the rule.)

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 12:04 pm
Quote:
But for the light cruisers, speed is the main parameter. Slow light cruiser, it is just as questionable thing as unarmoured battleship (yes, I know about the "Lepanto" class. Exceptions prove the rule.)
Research shows that a speed of around 20 knots is not uncommon and still considered fast for the turn of the century. Check out the New Orleans Class from 1895:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/ne ... neworl.htm

She was built by the British, who understood speed, and the trial speed was only 20 knots on 3769 tons. Leons are two thirds the weight, and 75 feet shorter. The natural speed of her hull was only about 16 knots, and 18 was the most I could squeeze out of her. I also have a draft limitation of about 20 feet until they dredge the ship channel at the turn of the century

This AU runs on a budget. There's only so much money that can be spent in a year on defense. Right now, the strategic mission for this navy isn't fleet action, its commerce raiding. 18 knots is more than fast enough to catch most, if not all, merchant ships. The faster naval warships are owned by our allies.

There's also a limit to the number of men in the Navy. I can't exceed my manpower limit, so that factors in as well. It means a slightly slower ship, but when they go in to the yard for refit, they get new powerplants that often increase their speed.

I understand what you are saying in terms of tactics, but tactics only define the requirement. Money and politicians decide what your navy actually gets.

Also, check these books out on Google Books:
Janes Fighting Ships 1900
Brassey's Naval Annual 1896
Warships of the World 1892

Warships of the World has an entire appendix on warship speed and the number of vessels that can make or exceed 20 knots at that time.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Quote:
There's also a limit to the number of men in the Navy. I can't exceed my manpower limit, so that factors in as well. It means a slightly slower ship, but when they go in to the yard for refit, they get new powerplants that often increase their speed.
Well, I always thought it's better to have a few good ones than a lot of bad ... But I understand your point of view.
Quote:
Research shows that a speed of around 20 knots is not uncommon and still considered fast for the turn of the century. Check out the New Orleans Class from 1895:
For the early 1890's - possibly. But for the 1901-th - absolutely not.

USS Newark (4083 tonnes, 1888-1891 build) have about 19 knots

British "Apollo"-class (3600 tonnes, 1889-1891) - 19,75 knots

Even the "Esmeralda" (2930 tonnes, 1881-1883) - 18,25 knots!

For the 1901, 18 knots - is a typical battleship speed, not cruiser. Maybe it's better build a coast-defense battleship?

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Quote:
Well, I always thought it's better to have a few good ones than a lot of bad ... But I understand your point of view.
I agree. But that's the challenge of a really good AU...anyone can imagine perfection. But put flaws in your AU - now you're talking.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 1:02 pm
Dilandu wrote:
USS Newark (4083 tonnes, 1888-1891 build) have about 19 knots
The Newark is significantly larger and far more expensive than the Leon
Dilandu wrote:
British "Apollo"-class (3600 tonnes, 1889-1891) - 19,75 knots
As far as I'm aware the Apollo class were significantly less armoured than the Leon
Dilandu wrote:
Even the "Esmeralda" (2930 tonnes, 1881-1883) - 18,25 knots!
Esmeralda (Later Izumi) sacrificed protection to gain speed. She had no belt and her armoured decks were between 12 and 25mm thick.
In comparison the Leon has a 152mm belt, a uniform 25mm thick deck and 152mm thick conning tower.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 1:29 pm
Hmm ... Perhaps, then do not call it yet "light cruiser"? It is confusing. In fact, this is a "coastal defense ship" like the Danish "Niels Juel"

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Except that it isn't build for coastal protection.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 3:32 pm
Quote:
Except that it isn't build for coastal protection.
And what is it all set up? Protect the trade, he can not - it is very few ships he will catch up. Destroy the enemy trade - too bad (a few of whom he will run away)

Okay, we formulate as "gunboat with armored belt"

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: October 16th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Well, it can be used for multiple duties - the classic purpose of a light cruiser

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1168 »

Jump to: