Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 79 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 177 78 79 80 8190 »
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 27th, 2012, 10:59 am
I am really loving this thread (probably my favorite to date). The levels of creativity here is amazing and although not practical at times these designs are a real joy to see and I look forward to every new post.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 27th, 2012, 4:22 pm
Nice coat of arms! And the ship too.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 27th, 2012, 8:43 pm
Thiel wrote:
Neither are workable. They have the same problems, but in the Passau's case it's aggravated by a small ammunition supply. And when you have a CEP measured in tens of miles on a windless day you're going to need a lot ofrounds to hit anything.
It would be plenty useful as a terror weapon, but you don't need many rounds to scare people. USN service showed that you could pretty reasonably carry, oh, a dozen V-1s or similar on a heavy cruiser with no more ship impact than an aircraft hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 28th, 2012, 7:02 am
The idea was to hit a couple of targets over a distance meant secure until this moment. Sure it will not work until the V1M is guided anyhow on its last mile. Video control isn't that far in 1946 so someone with visual contact on the targets has to guide it by radio. A group of well hidden subs could do that. Yes, I know how difficult it would have been to sneak in an area like Scapa Flow. Maybe the attack would be successful for 1/2 hour until counter measures against the incoming missiles and/or their guidance can deflect the attack. That would be enough to get in 20 missiles. And if only 50% of them do serious damage you still have 10 hits on targets at will. Again, I absolutely agree, that an unguided V1 is useless. But the shown case could work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 28th, 2012, 10:10 am
That's a lot of surfaced subs sitting around for a couple of hours. Especially in a world were the solution to an unknown radar contact is two destroyers and a flight of patrol bombers filled to the brim with depth charges and heavy MGs.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Thiel has a point. Even a Britain on the brink of defeat would have pretty advanced ASW assets that would toast a surfaced boat. Admittedly the "agent" idea makes more sense - but the logistics to insert one in, with the proper equipment to control these things, would be staggering.

Plus I'm not convinced that you can up the speed of a V1M by as much as you're claiming, not without a big turbojet (for the time). Plus even so heavy AA-kit would still be potentially problematic.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 9th, 2012, 10:27 pm
I agree with LEUT_East...this is probably my favorite thread on this forum aside from any IJN or passenger liner threads that pop up. I still can't wait to read the official history of this AU!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Grossflugzeugkreuzer Ludendorff 1940 / 1945Posted: May 16th, 2012, 10:41 am
The Z-plan brought up the idea of a hybrid warship appearing in the constructions department of the Kriegsmarine. The idea was to build a ship that could provide both, air cover for other Kriegsmarine units (including themselves) and were still usable for conventional commerce raiding. Therefore, a combination of an aircraft carrier and a cruiser/battleship was thought to be a solution for this task. The project never had a high priority, but with war coming closer one ship was finally finished in spring 1940, the 'Ludendorff'. She took part in the western campaign without battle action.
She was equipped was two triple 28cm turrets and four triple 15cm turrets. Her airwing was 31 units (9 x Ju-87 divebomber, 10 x Fi-167 torpedobomber, 12 x Me-109 E fighter)
[ img ]

The Ludendorff in 1945. 2cm quads are change to 3cm, airwing contains now Fw-190 fighters and additional Weserflug VTOLs. In 1946 she saw action at northern atlantic where 34 freighters and 2 destroyers were sunk by her. She missed the to Canada fleeing UBB HMS Superb only shortly.
In 1947 and 1948 she was placed in pacific waters for hunting down british ships and rebels. Indonesian divers managed to place some mines at her hull that did major damage. She was repaired so far she could float but never left the bay of bengal again. In 1958 she was scrapped.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: May 16th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Nice Battlecarrier Ashley it will have more "Heavy"battlecariers?

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: GrossflugzeugkreuzerPosted: May 16th, 2012, 1:27 pm
The 'Ludendorff' is only effective if there are no superior enemies. It does not have the guns to fight a fullsize BB or even a BC. The airwing can't go on a fullsize carrier, its airwing with about 30 aircraft allover is not large enough. Equipped with superior jets it might equal larger airwings like on Essex or Implacable.
A CA with some lucky hits could defeat her for the minimal armor at the carrier section. It's the common problem of all those hybrid ships. They can do all missions, but none of them really good.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 79 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 177 78 79 80 8190 »

Jump to: