Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1021 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 1st, 2016, 6:41 pm
The thing you should do is put some thought in your designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 1st, 2016, 6:46 pm
I mean obviously you can post at your own pace. There is no expected cadence for posting drawings in AU threads...

Maybe perfect what you've posted so far before posting more. But you are of course free to do whatever you want!

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 3:01 pm
Can two anti aircraft guns, like a bofors, share a gun director?

And also what kind of changes would a ship undergo to protect itself from kamikaze attacks?

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 3:43 pm
Redid the Carrywood class

Carrywood Class

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
1943 refit

The Carrywood class destroyers were notably smaller and less armed and armored than most Antaran designs. The Carrywood destroyers were designed with speed and manoeuvrability in mind, rather than firepower, compared to destroyers like the Shannon class. The gun houses on this destroyer only carried one turret, and the ship only had one torpedo launcher.

Like most ships during World War 2 in the Pacific, she would later be outfitted with many AA guns and radar units. There were plans to convert these light fighting vessels to suite other roles, such as anti submarine warfare. Dench was the only warhip of this class to have ever been modified into an ASW destroyer.

[ img ]
Proposed ASW conversion for the Carrywood class, late 1942. Only Dench underwent the conversion.

Ships in class - Launched - Fate

Carrywood - 1938 - Sunk by surface fire 1944
Oakwood - 1938 - Sunk by aircraft 1940
Dench - 1938 - Sunk as target 1962
Tristan - 1938 - Sunk as target 1958
Mackers - 1938 - Sold to a private individual 1975

Last edited by Shigure on August 4th, 2016, 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 11:33 pm
I can't help but notice that your ASW conversion has less ASW weapons than your average pre-war torpedo boat.
You really should spend a couple of hours researching period designs and weapons before you go any further.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 8:16 am
[ img ]

Added some K-guns after finally figuring out what they were.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 3rd, 2016, 6:33 pm
To the extent that it's possible, I would expect an effort to be made to get the K-guns out of the field of fire of the 5"-class guns aft. A much better installation would be to replace the aft boat (which in any case would be landed).

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 4th, 2016, 1:25 pm
[ img ]

Replaced one of the boats with K-guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 6:26 am
I don't know. There's nothing particular about this design that sets it apart as a dedicated ASW ship when compared to the bog standard destroyers of the time.

I just realised you've uploaded the Glenwood class as well. Not a bad effort, but you'll have to explain what those trimarans are for. You're also going to need significantly more in the way of launching and lifting gear and life saving gear since you're carrying more people and more, heavier boats.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: August 5th, 2016, 1:50 pm
[ img ]

I've added a crane and some stacks of life rafts. I've also removed the number 3 turret to make space for a 1.1 inch gun

The trimarans are really light and fast personal landing boats designed to carry a little under 10 people.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1021 »

Jump to: