Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1090 »
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 6th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Was it send back in time? :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 6th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Vossiej wrote:
Was it send back in time? :)
Maybe I went a little bit too far with this one. :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 6th, 2010, 1:50 pm
No no I don't mean it like that, I was just trying to make a funny comment;) Interesting none the less!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 6th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Ugh, no way that ship could have been built like that in 1946...

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 6th, 2010, 8:12 pm
The Keiler is the worst one yet. The Tilt-wing doesn't get developed until the 1960s at the earliest, and the Tilt-rotor is even later.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 6th, 2010, 8:14 pm
TimothyC wrote:
The Keiler is the worst one yet. The Tilt-wing doesn't get developed until the 1960s at the earliest, and the Tilt-rotor is even later.
about the keiler I share your opinion.... but germany was experimenting with tiltrotors. if they were succesfull is another story (I doubt it) but it is possible to place those in this AU

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 6th, 2010, 9:08 pm
I don't have the technical knowledge to comment on the Keiler, but the LST-28 derived from Vossiej's original LST just doesn't really fit this AU.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 7:37 am
TimothyC wrote:
-did you know the tiltrotor-concept was invented in 1904?
-did you know the brazilian Centro Tecnico Aerospacial under the german prof. Focke developed in 1952 an aircraft 'Convertiplano' from the wartime-design Fa-269? The project was a success, if 300 takeoffs and landings without crash count...
-the Weserflug-design is derived from a real design of 1938.

So please don't use the word 'worst'. Do some research first. Thank you.
And please remember: it's an AU. It just needs to be possible. We all know, pigs don't fly.

About the LST-28: yes, it's somehow wrong in here. I'll return to the 'real' things... :D

Last edited by Ashley on October 7th, 2010, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 10:33 am
Hmmm, the only English-language source about the 'Convertiplano' I can find that backs up that claim of 300 flights is Wikipedia. Most other offical Brazilian sites only claim ground-tests were achieved. The 'Convertiplano' sounds very much like a research hack being part Spitfire and with a US radial engine (the British refused to sell a Mamba turbopop to CTA) and I doubt it was airworthy. It seems never to have recieved a stronger undercarriage and second protoype was abandoned. Really saying some-one thought of tilt-rotors in 1904 (Leonardo da Vinci drew helicopters and tanks but I don't consider that means one could have been built then) and that Weserflug designed one in 1938 doesn't prove a concept. Neither does inaccurate research based on Wikipedia. The fact is materials for such drive-shafts and gearboxes needed was impossible in 1938 and even 1945. Even an elementry glance at the history of VTOL flight shows many more failures than successes.

Interesting ships though, the corvette looks interesting. I assume some kind of recoilless weapon instead of torpedoes?
Bow ramps and turrets with barbettes don't usually mix very well either but I suppose with an offset turret and vehicle deck it could be achieved.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: October 7th, 2010, 11:01 am
Hood wrote:
...Interesting ships though, the corvette looks interesting. I assume some kind of recoilless weapon instead of torpedoes?
Bow ramps and turrets with barbettes don't usually mix very well either but I suppose with an offset turret and vehicle deck it could be achieved.
A recoilless weapon for ASW-missions? Have I missed one? Please tell me!
With the turret you're right, the usual turrets go two or three decks deep into the hull for ammo-delivery etc. They would penetrate the vehicle deck. The turret on the Kiel class LST is the lightweight-15cm-twin, introduced with the destroyer-class 36a. This turret goes only one deck deep, the weight is about 60 tons (Bismarcks 15cm-twin weights 116 tons). That should match.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1090 »

Jump to: