Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1024 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 4th, 2011, 9:23 pm
moar ships

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 5th, 2011, 8:39 am
Thanks Erik; I've added as (you advised) the GUNNAR set more to the rear and side of the turret, to allow for the extra size; also, I've removed from the smaller twin Bofors, and substituted the 3/70 on the asw version, the reasoning being that this would be a better mount in both self-defence and attack :)

[Profile] [Quote]
BrockPaine
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 5th, 2011, 2:10 pm
Am enjoying this quite a lot. Keep up the good work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 5th, 2011, 2:51 pm
Thanks, and we hope to continue this for a long time; the first flush of drawings will settle down and then we should begin filling in the gaps. Of course, it would have been nice to have every design in chronological order, but we went for the ships we liked and that is what we've got so far. And please keep up the critiques and suggestions :)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 5th, 2011, 2:56 pm
Perhaps there was some misunderstanding. The radar set should obviously be on the front, since it needs to have good field of vision. This is a fire control system, not just a radar dish. In this era, there was a lot of electromechanical crap that went along with that, and that needs to be on-mount as you have somewhat indicated. The radar itself was properly placed previously.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 5th, 2011, 3:18 pm
No problem, it was my misunderstanding, and I did wonder,as I was looking at a similar set on one of Novice's RCN ships. I'll recast it, maybe allowing that the crewman sits to one side, to have the dish offset to the other, with the rest of the equipment to the rear. The devil is in the detail :)

[Profile] [Quote]
gkm
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 6th, 2011, 2:17 am
Does this AU assume that the MoD was not gutted by the Defense White Paper of 1957?

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 6th, 2011, 7:45 am
Aha! The man with the calculator ;) Yes, you're spot on, we are now in the land of AU, where 'armchair admirals' get to play out their frustrations at the demise of a once great navy. And of course, we could never have trully afforded this kind of luxury fleet; at least, not every type shown here. Even in real life the single CVA-01 became unoffordable by the mid 1960's, representing in build cost only 20% of the actual cost over its life. So we would need a defence budget vastly enlarged, and therefore a much bigger economy. The only justification for these AU's is to explore the possibility's of where various aborted designs and systems would have led, given the opportunity. So, I won't enter into any discussion on justifying anything here on the actual state of G.B. Ltd postwar, it just doesn't lead anywhere :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 6th, 2011, 3:19 pm
I've updated the Tenacity FAC with the GUNNAR equivalent set, to show the dish to the front and side.

Next, The base Type 14, already shown as the stretched 'Captain' class all-diesel 'sloopl'. The shorter hull was used for the A class replecement for the Hunts (and was also attractive for export). HMS Ardent represents the class, with a CODAG powerplant. The design is based on an actual Thornycroft project for a light frigate, which they hoped to sell to Venezuela (they bought an Italian wraship instead). I've stretched the design and 'improved' it for the AU. I've also shown how diferent fits in the midships area would allow Bidder, Fancy, or Blueslug, all able to be fitted at short notice.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: May 6th, 2011, 6:59 pm
IIRC Fancy was an A/S torpedo and I'm guessing Blueslug is an anti-ship variant of the Seaslug. No idea what Bidder is though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 1024 »

Jump to: