Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 64 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 162 63 64 65 6690 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 14th, 2012, 2:54 pm
There is no way you're going to fit an automatic three inch gun into those shields. They're smaller than the contemporary 57mm guns.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 14th, 2012, 2:55 pm
erik_t wrote:
I'm confused as to what 3" auto you think you're using. They look like mangled 40mm mounts to me.
I looked for the 3" Timothy has mentioned before and made them after some project drawings I googled.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 14th, 2012, 3:03 pm
You could just stop by the USN parts sheets and grab the completed turret...

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 14th, 2012, 3:05 pm
erik_t wrote:
There's no need for the elevated helicopter platform you've drawn - all of the postwar USN BB's operated helicopters right from the stern.
Thanks, corrected.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 14th, 2012, 3:09 pm
Still with the impossible 3 inchers

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: USS Oregon BB-72Posted: February 14th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Now with 3inchers from the partsheet. Don't look like the drawing I had but ok. Does anybody know, how deep the mag goes? Maybe I have to delete the two on the stern position.
edit: by seeing it again I'm not satisfied with the position of the 3" on the mid superstructure. The firing arc is not optimal.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
DER386
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 15th, 2012, 1:17 am
The 3" guns were deck mounts - no below deck penetration
They generally had 2 ammunition lockers at the rear of the deck gun shield. (which you don't show, except in the aftermost mounts)
After they were used ammo had to be passed up from the lower deck magazines

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 15th, 2012, 2:50 am
I like this Oregon. I am satisfied that you did remove some of the amidships deadweight too. However, on closer scrutiny, I'd elect to remove wholly the two amidships 3" turrets, and instead use that area for ships' boats. You may even, with advantage cut off that protruding deck structure that goes forward from the aft funnel to enable the boats to be comfortably situated. Also the 3" just above the outermost shaft I'd remove. It just doesn't have a very good command, and I know the USN, if it were built like that, within months would've removed it. Otherwise I like the graceful lines - and this time you did get them spot-on! This would've been a ship that I'd be very proud to hoist my command pendant aboard, if I were an American admiral!

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 15th, 2012, 2:52 am
Btw, would you, please change the helipad configuration on the USS Louisiana to what Erik_T suggested so that I can save it to my archive? Though those 6" guns were not very reliable, I kinda like it the way you devised it!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: February 15th, 2012, 3:36 am
Very nice work!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 64 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 162 63 64 65 6690 »

Jump to: