Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 52 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 150 51 52 53 5490 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 8:47 am
Ashley wrote:
The speed does not seem a problem to me.
You said it yourself.
Ashley wrote:
... and probably a diesel engine system, the ships would not be able to keep up the speed of other Kriegsmarine surface units, so their military used for the Kriegsmarine was very doubtful.
Ashley wrote:
In KM'46 the ships are useful, due to their speed of 32 kn.
How did you manage 32kts when the actual engineers couldn't?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 9:06 am
Thiel wrote:
Ashley wrote:
The speed does not seem a problem to me.
You said it yourself.
Ashley wrote:
... and probably a diesel engine system, the ships would not be able to keep up the speed of other Kriegsmarine surface units, so their military used for the Kriegsmarine was very doubtful.
Ashley wrote:
In KM'46 the ships are useful, due to their speed of 32 kn.
How did you manage 32kts when the actual engineers couldn't?
I repeated the german-navy.de-text, a text from a real projected (ok, never really planned) ship. But this is KM'46, an AU. Here the CVE has got a third screw and larger engines and an improved hull, so it CAN reach 32 kn. It's likely to get caught in the 'reality vs. AU'-trap, I know. We don't leave the space of real physics in AU, we just create new or bend some existing timelines. In my opinion, an for that speed optimized hull and enough engine power would be enough. Ok now, friend?

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: CVE Hans Moser 1942Posted: January 12th, 2012, 12:33 pm
In 1942 the CVE Hans Moser gave its Me-109T away and was fitted with new FW-190Ts. But the airwing had to be reduced to 12 aircraft due to the bigger size of the FW-190s. Camo was repainted in peacetime grey. Only technical improvement was a new radar on top. The class had grown to 5 units, a final 6th was finished was major changes leading to the Alexander-class CVEs.
[ img ]
Btw. in reality, Hans Moser was a famous austrian actor of the 30s until mid 60s.

Last edited by Ashley on January 12th, 2012, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 12:40 pm
may I ask.... an better hull (so more streamlined), bigger engines (take more space, take more crew) additional prop (even more space taken) and still the same amount of aircraft.... were do you want to leave the crew? this is going to be an extremely crowded ship, that is for certain.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 1:43 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
may I ask.... an better hull (so more streamlined), bigger engines (take more space, take more crew) additional prop (even more space taken) and still the same amount of aircraft.... were do you want to leave the crew? this is going to be an extremely crowded ship, that is for certain.
A better hull does not mean automatically the hull gets sleeker. Hydrodynamics made big steps forward in the 40s. The hull is simply shaped better and is able to provide more room. Further the airwing is reduced to 12 aircraft.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 1:47 pm
true, but an improvement of let's say.... 10-15 knots seems an really big step forward without changing the block coefficient, displacement or the lengt/beam ratio.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 2:06 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
true, but an improvement of let's say.... 10-15 knots seems an really big step forward without changing the block coefficient, displacement or the lengt/beam ratio.
You are comparing a loose drawing of a never built or even really planned ship with some also loose proposed data with an AU-built ship. Please let us stop this, it will lead to nothing.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: January 12th, 2012, 2:17 pm
I am not comparing anything ;) the 10-15 knots are from 18 knots (merchant speed at that time) to the 32 you state. I understand what you are saying, but I cannot think that the improvements would be that big. but anyways, if you don't believe me, that is not my problem.

also, with streamlined I did not mean that the beam would be less, but more that the block coefficient would be less: less displacement on the same basic dimensions.

Last edited by acelanceloet on January 12th, 2012, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Moser-class CVE Frank Zander 1944Posted: January 12th, 2012, 2:19 pm
The final ship of the Moser-class CVEs was finished with a better aft, the heavy aa is now installed in swallows nests and more radar is stuffed on the island. New 5,5cm aa have replaced the 3,7cms. The big Wuerzburg-Riese-radar resides on the top.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Frank Zander 1946 invasion camoPosted: January 12th, 2012, 3:23 pm
The CVE Frank Zander as it took part of Operation Sealion. The overwater hull is half blue to the waterline, some 3cm aa are hastily added. Airwing is now equipped with Me-329 heavy fighters. Frank Zander was torpedoed by british MTBs 40 miles north of Brugge while its fighters where operating over Lowestoft, searching for the there based MTB sqad. The Me-329 returned and could sink two of the fleeing MTBs, Frank Zander was gone when they arrived, leaving a handful of lifeboats.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 52 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 150 51 52 53 5490 »

Jump to: