Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 18th, 2011, 3:30 pm
Here's my question...you mentioned cost with the 76's...What's the associated cost with the gun's much higher rate of fire? The mount and shells are both individually cheaper, but my guess is, with two guns firing 80 rounds per minute each, you'll be buying ALOT of ammunition, even using the guns just in training scenarios. That cost has to add up....

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 18th, 2011, 3:37 pm
it is not really the cost of the gun and rounds, but more the maintenance costs and spare parts. if you have 3 types of guns, you have to have spare parts and rounds for all types. it is always cheaper to buy more of the same type instead, don't you agree? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 18th, 2011, 3:56 pm
That is true. And there's the training aspect as well. But, as your 120's are retired, you could replace them with 5" guns. You maintain only two types in service, and you can retrain your existing crews for the new systems. Often manufacturers provide this kind of training. (My dad worked for Lockheed Martin for a while after he retired from the Navy, teaching Navy Officers how to properly use AEGIS. Just an example.)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 18th, 2011, 4:00 pm
that was indeed what I suggested in an earlier post, but this is unlikely because 'they were just fitted on the tromps a few years ago'
it might be possible that mk 45's were placed on all NL spruances, with the 2 tromps later on so there would only be a few years of 3 types of guns. the problem is though that in such an upgrade the tromps would be updated with goalkeepers as well...... which I did not allow for in the design, this would require some major changes.
I have to think about this......

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 25th, 2011, 7:41 am
well, made the fixes to the S-perry frigate.
[ img ]
and Erik, specially for you I made an version with STIR 180's and the WM, just like the real S frigate.... which would not be able to use the standard missile to it's full potential though.
[ img ]
please tell me what you think.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 27th, 2011, 11:45 pm
Much better. I envisioned a Perry-like use of a single STIR and the director portion of the WM20... if you're going to have two STIRs, then I think your version makes more sense anyway.

You have some doors to repaint! GMLS, too.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 28th, 2011, 12:00 am
...and change the prop. That's a mere standard prop, but not representative of the single-shaft prop of the OHPs....

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 28th, 2011, 3:23 am
Yeah, every time I see that screw I sigh inside. While you're at it, the standard Perry drawing has some almost-black-but-not-black pixels on a number of the hull lines. And the sonar is no good. And you should fill in the railing where the bad SVTT drawing used to be.

I really need to bug MConrads about revisiting that drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 28th, 2011, 8:18 am
erik_t wrote:
Much better. I envisioned a Perry-like use of a single STIR and the director portion of the WM20... if you're going to have two STIRs, then I think your version makes more sense anyway.

You have some doors to repaint! GMLS, too.
will fix the doors and mk 13.... and the railing of course. what prop should I use?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mini AU: US ship based RNLN 1980-85Posted: October 29th, 2011, 9:19 pm
something I just found erik: my preference in the gun choice on the sprucan might have been possible!
http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=496
while that ship has an completely different role and is constructed differently, those are undoubtly 67mm guns on an spruance hull! ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 9  [ 83 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 9 »

Jump to: