Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 827 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 7:41 am
[ img ]
So far I've been unable to find any pictures or drawings of the 152mm gun so the 150mm guns remains for now.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 8:10 am
Thiel wrote:
So far I've been unable to find any pictures or drawings of the 152mm gun so the 150mm guns remains for now.
152mm is 6 inches; check the RN parts sheet, there are a couple of these.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 8:23 am
I know, but I'm looking for the Bofors 152mm L/50 M1912 since that's pretty much the only 6in gun the designers could count on having access to when they designed the ship.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 8:42 am
Ah, sorry, I must have missed that part...
In this case I can only suggest Swedish battleship Sverige who used these guns per NavWeaps.com
http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... ge%201.gif

or Fylgia and Oscar II who used Bofors L/50 M1903 which is, again per NavWeaps.com, are very similar to M1912
http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... ia%201.gif
http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... II%201.gif

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 9:17 am
I like the result so far; and a salutory lesson on how not to overload a hull with spurious guns etc. And definately a Bofors main gun, to keep it 'in the family'. As this is an ocean going design (as opposed to coastal), it will raise questions about its intended role (though minelaying is already useful); and it would stand up well against smaller cruisers and destroyers, so I'm assuming it would rely on a good top speed to avoid anything bigger?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 9:45 am
Her peace time role is mainly colonial policing and training like most cruisers of the period.
In wartime she'd be utilized as a raider. AS far as I can see that's the only way for the RDN to operate offensively.
So yeah she's going to be as fast as I can make her. The mines are my way of giving her a very Danish touch. Judging by the ships of the time Danish naval officers couldn't look at a clean bit of deck without imagining minerails or torpedo tubes.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 12:10 pm
Ah, I missed the potential for a colonial role; and not a bad idea to have a more extensive Danish empire; and the war of 1864 would maybe have a different outcome?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 12:59 pm
Very nice. What's happen with the railing on the front?

[Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Yes and no. Denmark is still going to loose, but the terms are going to be far more reasonable.
There's no way to get around the fact that Prussia could deploy three times as many troops with superior weapons.
It is going to have major and far reaching effects on the army though. One of the more obvious is going to be an infatuation with the individual soldiers firepower. As a result the Army will take to the Machinegun as early as I can justify it and semi-auto rifles will be introduced as the standard infantry long-arm in the 1890ies. A modified version of this one to be specific

As for the ship itself, I've tried fitting the Swedish guns and three of them will fit, but I'm having trouble with the two beam mounts. I'll probably have to design a simple shielded mount for it. Mounting on as superfiring is out of the question. Even with greatly reduced armour it'll still cause stability problems.

Edit:
[ img ]
A bit of fiddling with the superstructure gained me enough space to fit them all.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: A Danish AUPosted: November 17th, 2011, 3:40 pm
Excellent in both cases, Thiel! I wholly agree with PB in extending a salutary compliment in the neatness of your design. Although the Bofors guns in the centerline fits perfectly well, it can be a good idea to design open shields for the beam ones. If you like I may assist you in doing that. It'd bean honor. But, really a well designed vessel!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 27  [ 261 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 827 »

Jump to: