Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 42 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 140 41 42 43 4447 »
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 31st, 2014, 7:00 am
Redone the DE

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 31st, 2014, 8:08 am
:geek: :D ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 31st, 2014, 1:37 pm
Modernization of World War 2 Warships
After World War 2 or to be precise after 1950, the Rossiyan Navy began to modernize their warships especially those built in the 1940s. The Rossiyans were quite keen on keeping their ships to continue running especially their battleships and battlecruisers as they, compared to rest of ship classes, one difficult to plan, design, evaluate, test, redesign and then construct, maintain, crew, supply, repair and modernize and two why have the perfect ship in two years time when you can have good ship right now (And yes i did just take a George Patton quote and change it up) so that is why the Morskoye class battleships and the Katakov class battlecruisers still remain.
Morskoye class battleship (1945-1955) Changed up
The Morskoye class battleships remained mostly unchanged with the only modernization construction was in 1944. It was only 6 years later, did the Rossiyan Navy decided to upgrade their ships with better radars, fire control systems and to handle 4 helicopters. It still has the same number of guns as they had from the beginning except for the light anti-air guns which mostly taken off the ship. Ten of the fifteen battleships saw action supporting the Korean War actions. The rest were stationed in Rossiya to guard the home islands.
[ img ]

Last edited by OberstAmiruddin on January 1st, 2015, 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: December 31st, 2014, 3:29 pm
I would try to save costs by removing all the light AA that will be effectively useless (20/25mm) and save on crew (BBs where always overcrowded after all the light AA was added during the war).
After that maybe swap all secondary guns to 100mm ? (or go to 3/70s ? if you are very rich).
You also could plate in the cat area (for accommodation/etc) and fit a hangar for the helicopter (to stop blast etc).

JSB

edit - I would also relocate (to the front of bridge ?) the 40mm from the bow if you are going to save on fixing them after every storm.

Last edited by JSB on January 1st, 2015, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 1st, 2015, 4:49 am
I have redone the ship.
I scrapped the light anti-air cannons on it, but it's catapult will remain, only later will it be removed in another modernization rebuild

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 1st, 2015, 12:51 pm
Morskoye class battleship(1955-1985)
The Morskoye class battleships were again modernized in 1975, this time with a major rebuild, which include replacing the old engines and boilers, removal of the catapults, addition of helicopter pad and hangar, addition of missile launchers and construction of new masts and new secondary turrets to replace the old ones. But the ships mostly remained unchanged with many of the 40 mm and 100 mm anti-air guns still around only now more automated. Now the battleships now can handle 6 helis.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 1st, 2015, 12:56 pm
- the Mk 26 cannot fit there, there is rudder machinery on top of the rudder and there is a magazine under that launcher (check belowdeck parts)
- the harpoon and Mk 26 will suffer from blast damage from the guns
- that is most likely the worst place for a helideck I have seen in some time.
- the foremast most likely cannot take the weight of that radar platform
- the standard missile directors are on the opposite side of the ship as the launcher :S
- stability will be an issue with all the stuff you have added

EDIT: taking a second look:
- you have 100mm guns which are only shielded guns, but you do not have space around them to actually operate them
- to automate a gun you have to do more then just say 'they are now automatic'
- replacing the machinery of this ship will most likely be more expensive then building a new, and that will result in a more capable ship (as you can leave off armour you will have a lot more displacement to use for other things)

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 1st, 2015, 1:11 pm
Hi Ace,

Can you advise why it's such a bad location for a helideck? My guess would be that it's between the masts and funnels (which I assume will to horrible, horrible things to lift just as you are landing) but I'd thought the location purely as a location, without considering all the rest of the ship, wasn't too bad as used on the Type 43 proposals...

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 1st, 2015, 1:18 pm
I would also suggest replacing the old 40 mm with a more modern one, such as the Oto Melara DARDO.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: January 1st, 2015, 1:25 pm
well, there are a few problems with it.
the first is that the helicopters do not fit on the platform. you cannot land 'around' a funnel, as the rotor might contact. the jetstream from the tail rotor and a bit from the main rotor is also deflected from the funnel area, which impacts the helicopter again, destabilising it. take a look at the clearance around the helicopter on the T43: http://godfreydykes.info/TYPE%2043%20TWO.jpg
second, the gun platforms around that helideck have people standing on it. quite vulnerable, when the rotor passes you at only a few meters away.
third, there are huge masts and structures right next to the helideck, blocking forward and aft completely. again, blocking the airstream, but also making it impossible to move forward, aft, and to one side (the funnel) leaving only one side open to manouver..... while the helicopter is quite hard to control due to all the crosswinds and reflected air.

in short, the heliplat might work, yes, for something DASH sized, maybe a wasp, but anything bigger then that...... I doubt it possible, let alone doable.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 42 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 140 41 42 43 4447 »

Jump to: