Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Navybrat85 wrote:
Lol....All I can say without backseat moderating...
I know, and I tried but it ended with a warning. hm! kaskje Golly would come back and deleted some of these childish ...

[Profile] [Quote]
Herr_Weisredau
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm
This thing is basically an Alaska class battlecruiser tossed in a blender with a Scharnhorst. A bit bigger than a Des Moines. Over 800 feet. Im looking to make 35 knots.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 5:32 pm
you're gonna need alot of installed power to make 35 knots. Make sure you allocate enough room for fuel oil to keep the range useful.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 5:43 pm
So, basically a schlachtkreuzer but not a Schwere Kreuzer, that's it? Yeah, I think I kinda touched the bottom of that definition limit with my Thevai-class...
I agree with navybrat on the machinery issue, though not necessarily on the range.

[Profile] [Quote]
Navybrat85
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 5:47 pm
Well, the range I think could be looked at this way: A ot of fuel oil either, A: Gives you the legs to make long runs into the Atlantic, or B: the endurance to trawl the local waters looking for anything worth sinking there. Ships run their engines constantly, so even though you may never stray more than, say, 300 linear miles from port, you may cover thousands of miles on a patrol route.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 6:30 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
You're aware that I'm packing 9.2 in guns, right? 8-) ;) :D :lol:
Yes! I got 6 11in and 12 4in :P

[Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 6:31 pm
heuhen wrote:
more powerful than this baby (* triple 475 mm)! then yours must be a nuke!
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... leship.png
Heheh NOT the rules :lol:

Cruisers :)

[Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 6:35 pm
heuhen wrote:
Navybrat85 wrote:
Lol....All I can say without backseat moderating...
I know, and I tried but it ended with a warning. hm! kaskje Golly would come back and deleted some of these childish ...
Delete what and come back from where? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 19th, 2011, 9:47 pm
Alex, caliber size in itself will not matter. Look at Jutland. There an inferior German battle-cruiser force soundly defeated a superior British, even though the latter was also mostly armed with 13.5 in as against mostly 11-in guns. On the German side the biggest caliber was the 12-in, (16) and on the British the smallest was the 12-in (16). No, it was the quality of the gunnery that mattered (no matter that the actual hit ratio on either side was less than 5%!).

The reason why I chose the 9.2-in was not only a matter of gaining superiority in caliber size viz-a-viz an opponent, but mainly for its superior reputation at being a very reliable, accurate, long-range and fast gun.

In other words...your 11-in would still matter little if the Greek gun crews of a Thevai-class CA are crack and yours not, right? Also, if your 11-in is prone to break-down, short barrel life, faulty shells or other mechanical shortcomings, that caliber will do your ships no good. That's the truth about gunnery....

[Profile] [Quote]
Herr_Weisredau
Post subject: Re: The German Navy if Germany had won WWI.Posted: October 20th, 2011, 1:51 am
The Schlesien class will have excellent gunnery. From what I have read, German fire control was excellent in both World Wars. I think a vessel of the Schlesien class will be a match for just about any cruiser in any navy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 51 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: