[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 29th, 2011, 11:04 pm
Scifibug! Dude! Join Pax!

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 29th, 2011, 11:14 pm
Pax,
A country that uses an nuclear powered cruise missile that flies over countries spewing nuclear exhaust and lobbing the occasional H-bomb. Nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 1:38 am
Scifibug wrote:
Pax,
A country that uses an nuclear powered cruise missile that flies over countries spewing nuclear exhaust and lobbing the occasional H-bomb. Nice.
Oh, how I do love the smell of freshly burnt Earth in the morning! Maybe with a sprinkle of radioactive dust. Now good sir, would you like tea with that? :twisted:

Last edited by CATZ on June 30th, 2011, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 1:40 am
CATZ wrote:
Scifibug wrote:
Pax,
Oh, how I do love the smell of freshly burnt Earth in the morning! Maybe with a sprinkle of radioactive dust! Now good sir, would you like tea with that? :twisted:
And there is an easy counter to make your PLUTOs have lots and lots of problems, one that you can't get around due to the nature of the missile. :twisted:

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 1:41 am
TimothyC wrote:
CATZ wrote:
Scifibug wrote:
Pax,
Oh, how I do love the smell of freshly burnt Earth in the morning! Maybe with a sprinkle of radioactive dust! Now good sir, would you like tea with that? :twisted:
And there is an easy counter to make your PLUTOs have lots and lots of problems, one that you can't get around due to the nature of the missile. :twisted:
And that good sir, is what the ICBM's are for. Now how about that...tea?

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 3:25 pm
I wouldn't want to shoot down a flying dirty nuke in my country. This is a weapon I'd expect a James Bond movie type villian to use rather than a peace loving democratic nation.
I'm actually glad the U.S. cancelled this hell weapon.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 4:30 pm
Scifibug wrote:
I wouldn't want to shoot down a flying dirty nuke in my country. This is a weapon I'd expect a James Bond movie type villian to use rather than a peace loving democratic nation.

PLUTO would have been vulnerable to TERCOM spoofing and jamming, and shooting it down before it gets anywhere important is a lot better than letting it strike.

CATZ said in the IRC room that her PLUTOs fly at 30,000 feet. Oddly enough while high enough to reduce the frictional heat, it's still going to look like a volcano.

30,000 feet is also a really bad altitude for a lot of reasons - you're still low enough that you can't see the stars, but you're high enough that terrain mapping isn't going to be super accurate for navigation. Plus at 30,000 feet, I can see you coming on radar a long way off (and your exhaust bloom is going to have a massive radar signature), so shooting you down is a lot easier than if you flew at less than 500 feet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 7:01 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Scifibug wrote:

PLUTO would have been vulnerable to TERCOM spoofing and jamming, and shooting it down before it gets anywhere important is a lot better than letting it strike.

CATZ said in the IRC room that her PLUTOs fly at 30,000 feet. Oddly enough while high enough to reduce the frictional heat, it's still going to look like a volcano.

30,000 feet is also a really bad altitude for a lot of reasons - you're still low enough that you can't see the stars, but you're high enough that terrain mapping isn't going to be super accurate for navigation. Plus at 30,000 feet, I can see you coming on radar a long way off (and your exhaust bloom is going to have a massive radar signature), so shooting you down is a lot easier than if you flew at less than 500 feet.
Wouldn't it also be able to be shot down by interceptors or SAMs, a disadvantage an ICBM doesn't have?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 8:30 pm
Carnac wrote:
Wouldn't it also be able to be shot down by interceptors or SAMs, a disadvantage an ICBM doesn't have?
False question.

ICBMs could be shot down in the 1960s. If you don't mind pumping the Van Allen Belts (killing every satellite up there for the next few decades) you can get very large kill radii out of nuclear armed interceptor missiles (SPARTAN's 5 MT warhead was to have a kill radius measured in hundreds of miles).

The point (to some degree) of PLUTO was that it had the power to go very fast very low. Because it was to fly so low, it couldn't use stellar navigation, which given the limitations of inertial navigation means TERCOM, which can be spoofed.

If Catz flies her PLUTOs at 30k feet, TERCOM can't be spoofed as well, but the target will get longer ranges out of their tracking radars, and the PLUTOs still have serious heat issues (even the SR-71 and the XB-70 had heat issues at mach 3 and 75k feet). Plus, as you mention Carnac, they will be vulnerable to SAM fire.

[Profile] [Quote]
CATZ
Post subject: Re: AU Blogish ThingPosted: June 30th, 2011, 9:16 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Carnac wrote:
False question.

ICBMs could be shot down in the 1960s. If you don't mind pumping the Van Allen Belts (killing every satellite up there for the next few decades) you can get very large kill radii out of nuclear armed interceptor missiles (SPARTAN's 5 MT warhead was to have a kill radius measured in hundreds of miles).

The point (to some degree) of PLUTO was that it had the power to go very fast very low. Because it was to fly so low, it couldn't use stellar navigation, which given the limitations of inertial navigation means TERCOM, which can be spoofed.

If Catz flies her PLUTOs at 30k feet, TERCOM can't be spoofed as well, but the target will get longer ranges out of their tracking radars, and the PLUTOs still have serious heat issues (even the SR-71 and the XB-70 had heat issues at mach 3 and 75k feet). Plus, as you mention Carnac, they will be vulnerable to SAM fire.
You argue about everything. zomfg.

It's a blog for RP'ing or posting news for our AU's.

Last edited by CATZ on July 1st, 2011, 8:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 9  [ 89 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »

Jump to: