Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 38 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page « 136 37 38 39 4065 »
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 5:20 pm
acelanceloet wrote:

edit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voith_Schneider_Propeller

xD

[Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 8:19 pm
[ img ]

Update showing progress thus far.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 8:26 pm
Thanks ace :)

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 8:59 pm
The Graf Zeppelin and several Woods Hole oceanographic research vessels have used VSPs, however only as auxilaries, so it really is a question as to how the exact performance would be on a large vessel as a main source of propulsion. An interesting design choice indeed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm
I'm definitely weary of using them but if I can get the idea to work maybe in tandem with either a waterjet or central screw I'd be happy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 9:22 pm
They can work at that scale, but efficiency is going to take a hit no matter what you do since you're introducing one more gear to your shaft.
Also, while they offers unrivalled control (Even better than pods) their maintenance curve doesn't scale proportionally with size, ie a bigger unit is going to need a lot more maintenance than a small one, mostly due to the greater forces.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 9:34 pm
also, I am trying to find out about the cavitation levels at higher rotation speeds.... that might limit it's speed to about 20 knots, but nothing official is released about that....

I assume you have 2 thrusters next to each other, if not, please do so :P
as thiel says, maintenance might be an problem too, but to some extend azipods and azimuths require a lot more maintentance too, still sometimes those are chosen.

what I got this far:
-for silence, this is perfect
- speed is unknown
- efficiency: unknown, but most likely ok
- vulnerability is high

also, I personally would go all the way with this system and change more then just the propulsion itself. why not try an entirely different hull design around these propulsors? :P just what I would do, an idea ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Yus, they are paired. What would you have in mind for a new hull form? I'm willing to revert to a more conventional layout for these and draw up some concepts for other stuff.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 30th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Just noticed, get rid of the stern thruster. You've got a propulsion system that'll let you apply all the power of the main engine in any direction you want, so having a piddly little 2 or 3kW thruster is just a waste of space.
One thing you might consider, in light of the relatively fragile propulsion system is to replace the bow thruster with a drop down azipod.
It'll act as a thruster when you need one of those and it'll provide you with a "get home" drive in case something goes wrong with the Schneiders. (Think of it as a spare tire)

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Parliamentary Republic of AtlantiaPosted: March 31st, 2012, 10:20 am
well, the fact is, the VSP can propel the ship in any direction, from any position. for example amidships, or at 3/4 of the ship instead of the stern. that way you could even choose an position with unlimited water flow from all directions...... which of course would need an guard plate for the case of grounding.

this would work best in the case of an 'stump' relatively small ship, with an L:B of about 4 or 5:1
I don't know if this would work well, I would have to do some research on it myself..... but I'd think it is worth an try :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 38 of 65  [ 648 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 136 37 38 39 4065 »

Jump to: