Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 36 of 43  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page « 134 35 36 37 3843 »
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 19th, 2012, 2:06 pm
LOL, so what kind of performance do you think she gets with those tiny little propellors and gigantic, useless hull bulges? Like maybe 5-6 knots at flank speed?

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 19th, 2012, 2:35 pm
I was thinking maybe 4 knots, max. Sounds like it may have a similar performance to the CSS Georgia - engines too weak to move the ship against the flow of the Savannah River, so just used for a floating battery until it was scuttled when Sherman showed up. (On a side note, I've heard there is talk from the Corps of Engineers of raising whats left of the Georgia from the Savannah River)

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 19th, 2012, 11:50 pm
You could drive a dually through that gun tube...sheesh.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 20th, 2012, 12:40 am
Zephyr wrote:
(On a side note, I've heard there is talk from the Corps of Engineers of raising whats left of the Georgia from the Savannah River)
She's sitting in the channel for the port, and to enlarge said channel (to take the new PANAMAX ships), she (CSS Georgia) has to be moved (with all of the problems that such a move of a war grave would entail).

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 20th, 2012, 12:41 am
I'm not sure it could be called a war grave though since she was scuttled by her crew and nobody that I am aware of went down with her.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 20th, 2012, 12:43 am
Zephyr wrote:
I'm not sure it could be called a war grave though since she was scuttled by her crew and nobody that I am aware of went down with her.
Well, I've been wrong before.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 20th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Zephyr wrote:
Jeebuz Frelling Christ, some people are thick. I offer some critique on that monstrosity ... and this is what I get in response. :roll:

[quote="Moriskov";p="9773858"][quote="Grays Harbor";p="9766432"]

Where do I start...

1.) The two forward turrets. I doubt a ship the size of Delaware could carry enough ammo that size for any significant engagement. Or even an insignificant one. Chances are also quite good that the first salvo would capsize the ship though so that may not be a significant point. One round per barrel, capsize ship, sink. Problem of ammo storage solved.
2.) Five Yamato sized turrets as wing turrets? Far too much strain on the hull, and unless your ship is round, probably not sufficient room for magazine space.
3.) One single standard sized propeller astern, and two backwards azipods forward. What is the maximum speed of this? 4 knots?
4.) What is that big waste of space on the stern? A warehouse?
5.) The cost of building this would be such that the benefits gained, which would be few if any, would not justify the construction. As a warship, it would be little more than a huge target. You may as well paint a bullseye with points on the sides and on deck. If it is something which is supposed to be effective in combat, then you also missed the mark on that as well. Maybe you could find a nice quiet spot to sink it as an artificial reef. That is one role I believe it would fulfill nicely.
What about this? I obviously didn't answer on the basis that I don't give a single care about what he has to say. So I don't know why you are bringing this up[/quote][/quote]

This is what I mean when I was talking about real world engineering vs. game engineering and how if anything the biggest problem the people at NationStates has is confusing the two (and usually not doing a good job at either). Frankly our biggest problem - and the only one we really should care about - is the copyright/accreditation issue.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 20th, 2012, 3:58 pm
I don't think game engineering is a problem, some of that class of designs are pretty good. In NS I see just a epidemic of megalomania.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 20th, 2012, 5:28 pm
I thought that was the point of NationStates :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: June 20th, 2012, 5:34 pm
I wonder how many NSers realise that NationStates is based on a book.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 36 of 43  [ 428 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 134 35 36 37 3843 »

Jump to: