Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 1:42 pm
A few more issues, added to what my colleagues have already mentioned: the aft SatCom, immediately abaft the funnel casing is probably going to be fried by the hot exhausts emitting from the exhaust pipes. I recommend moving it farther away. The 40mm gun abreast the foremast on bridge-level, will suffer from the blasts from the SSM:s. There was a poignant reason why the BIII:s omitted this weapon in that place. You also know, I believe, that you've used the BII:s underwater-hull section, especially forward? It's all fine, only that the real BIII:s had a more optimal sonar configuration.
Other than that I'm actually quite flattered that someone, especially one as talented as you, Blackbuck, has chosen to use one of my drawings in his AU. - And it does look very smart in those colors! Well done there!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 3:42 pm
Modifications in line with suggestions have (hopefully) been implement and remedied. My other option as I see it would be locally built OHP spin offs like the following (ace, please don't shout at me)...

[ img ]

As far as I'm aware everything should be in order with this one. The Mk141 canisters are to the best of my ability placed mimicking the Taiwanese equivalents ditto the 25mm mounts...

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 5:59 pm
Hmmm...interesting choices you made. regarding that blast deflector, I'm not that wholly convinced that you actually need it! Try without it, and you wouldn'thave to use that incredible cramped superimposed "pilot house nest" atop of the bridge.
If you're going with Gabriel SSMs, then I'd suggest you shift your Phalanx out with them, angling them out atop of the hangar. That should be doable. The Phalanx can be repositioned in front of the foremast, or have a "perch' built underneath to somewhat distance and shield it from the hot rocket exhausts of your SSMs. If you do that, then an ideal position for your SatCom would be found atop of the fore superstructure!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 6:36 pm
More modifications to the "Ladysword". They're Penguins by the way, not Gabriel.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 6:55 pm
I actually doubt that mod, because right now you have only forward AA covarage of all systems.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 7:06 pm
Other option would be a second 25mm on the platform with the countermeasure dispenser on splitting the foremost two penguin launchers completely with the 25mm atop said platform facing aft.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 7:27 pm
Actually, not quite, ace. If there's not a full 360 degree coverage, at least there are well over 180 degrees. I'm fully aware of the fact that no "after-market" solution will be fully satisfactory, considering the existing layout of these ships, but I believe my last suggestion will resolve more issues than it'll raise.
Yeah, Blackbuck, I did have a nagging suspicion they were Penguins, so my typo was a case of laziness.
Also, I'm noticing that you deleted entirely the mooring deck/maintenance deck below the flightdeck. That might not be a smart idea. You can, by all means redesign it anyway you want, but I think there should be provisions to moor the ship at the stern too!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 7:40 pm
well, bezo, the 100mm gun does a bit of AA and the phalanx does a bit, so it is quite possible to do 360 degrees coverage. the forward arc is a bit less on the CIWS department but has an slightly faster reaction of the missiles which might even that out.
with the gun that was originaly there this was not the case, as that was an ASuW gun only. here the Goalkeeper could only be placed on it's historic location because it had deck penetration, and could thus not be placed on bridge, bow or hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 7:49 pm
Screw it! I'll concentrate on the OHPs for now, it's an easier investment. I shall however carry on with the Broadsword modifications in a more generic form rather than for Avalon. I'm intrigued as to how much I can squeeze out of the basic design.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Crowned Republic of AvalonPosted: December 12th, 2013, 8:33 pm
I do like that OHP.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 65 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: