Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 4:00 pm
After much debate on Cold War Carrier based stuff, leading to what I would be using in the 1990s and early 21st Century, here is the DCN's Naval Air Service Aircraft.

To follow relatively soon, is the DCN's Carrier based on the Wasp Class LHD. Rounded stern instead of a LHD Stern, DCN uses both types 3 of each.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 10:32 pm
Here she is, I present to you the DCS Dracan Island CVA-07:

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 10:38 pm
Vey nice! My only critique is that certainly, there has to be better radar available.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 11:24 pm
Updated and shown with recommended changed made.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: June 9th, 2011, 5:39 pm
Changed the Island of the Carrier & added a lift:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: June 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Impressive :o I really like the last update - it looks do-able :)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: June 9th, 2011, 5:51 pm
nice, but why 2 air search radars?

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: June 9th, 2011, 10:11 pm
Island updated, as for the 2 search radars, couldn't tell you other than I probably was redundant. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
trap one
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 1:21 pm
2 Search radars.
For me two is much better than one. Having 27 years of Air defence with both the RAF and RN it always frustrating to see the lowering of assets.
1st if you take one Search radar off for servicing then you still have the other. If 1 goes broke you still have another. If 1 is jammed you still have another, or the opposition has to use twice the assets to jam both radars and with today's frequency agile just jamming 1 100% of the time takes quite a bit of effort.

Phalanx
Good for sub sonic missiles but you may still get hit by debris, if I had the space I'd use 30mm, better range and more destruction.
However I do like the 4 corners coverage.

Airwing
You are missing both force multipliers of AAR and AEW/AWACS. The Harrier is good especially coupled with AIM120 to take away its lack of supersonic speed but you need AAR to extend CAP time and AEW/AWACS to detect and control them on to the low level threat.

Your step from the Texan 2 to Harrier is too big. The Harrier is not the easiest aircraft to fly so I would add some thing like Hawk/Alpha Jet in the mix

Ship
This is my only criticism of selecting the Wasp, for your base is the speed. 23 Knots is too slow, the Cavour with 30 Knots would be better. Those extra 7+ knots of wind over the deck would let you airwing operate with heavier AUW's and get you into or out of trouble much quicker.

However, please be aware that I do like the drawings very much.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Dracan Commonwealth AUPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 2:15 pm
trap one wrote:
Airwing
You are missing both force multipliers of AAR and AEW/AWACS. The Harrier is good especially coupled with AIM120 to take away its lack of supersonic speed but you need AAR to extend CAP time and AEW/AWACS to detect and control them on to the low level threat.
K/M/CV-22s for tanking, and EV-22s for AEW. Not as good as fixed wing assets, but better than nothing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: